Baking cookbook, Bernbaum/KA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
I am seriously considering getting 2 of Ann levy Bernbaum's books (breads and cakes) as well as well as 2 of the King Arthur's (all purpose flour baking and whole wheat flour baking)
Thinking of joining the good cook club to get them.
From scanning them at the store it seems that Bernbaum gives more on how to bake. K/A may give more receipes.
Any thoughts ?

I am seriously considering getting 2 of Ann levy Bernbaum's books (breads and cakes) as well as well as 2 of the King Arthur's (all purpose flour baking and whole wheat flour baking)
From scanning them at the store it seems that Bernbaum gives more on how to bake. K/A may give more receipes.
Any thoughts ?

I've done just what you are considering, vilas. I scout the books I'm interested in at the bookstore, etc. and, then, use my selections as my intro books at The Good Cook Club. It's definitely a cost effective way of getting some fine books. I've balanced that against buying them at Amazon, but the shipping costs at Amazon is UGH!

If I remember correctly, you have 2 years to satisfy your book club obligations. Pretty easy if you play it right. Also, once you've satisfied your commitment, and don't purchase any books for a prolonged period of time, the club "sweetens" the pot by offering you some deals. I've gotten quite a few choice books for next to nothing as a result.

Just be sure to take care of your "monthly" selections before they are sent to you. That's soooo easy to do online.

Last edited:
Any thoughts ?

I think you are referring to Rose Levy Beranbaum? Her books are like cooking classes... you almost have her in your kitchen with you. Her instruction is so thorough. She has thought of all the questions you will have and has answered them before you could ask!

You will be glad to have them. and now, with the magic of email, she answers questions in real time, as well.

I am not familiar with the King Arthur books, so I can't comment on them, but I personally do love both Rose's Cake and Bread Bibles... :)

Back
Top Bottom