"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #31
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I sure do use cookbooks! I currently have around 300 of them, although I'm always going through and weeding out the ones that aren't pertinent.

Sometimes I make a recipe exactly, and sometimes I fiddle around with a recipe, and other times I just use them for ideas.

Every now and then one will really grab my attention and I will cook from it extensively. The most recent one of those was "Sunday Suppers at Lucques," by Suzanne Goin. I have to say that, altho some of the recipes have a lot of steps, every single dish I have made from that book is outstanding. Many have been reprised again and again.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #32
Cook

I do have regular meals that I cook without a cookbook for most meals but it is my goal to try at least 1 main dish and one other type recipe per week.

I have about 500 cookbooks in storage right now and have access to my Mom's cookbooks while I am their caregiver. Right now I am going through five+ years of magazines to see if there are any recipes worth trying. Mom never throws away Taste of Home and family magazines and she started with the first issue.

My main interest in cookbooks is the fund raiser books found at garage/estate sales and well loved cookbooks with notes in them from the previous owners.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #33
Head Chef

Whenever I bake, I sure do! Not always when I cook. My mom taught me how to cook and I make certain things the way she taught me.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

I probably have around 30 individual cookbooks. And four years worth of Cuisine at Home. I'm currently in the process of leaving only a few in the kitchen, moving the rest to a bookshelf, and getting rid of what I don't want. The project involves typing recipes into a word processor for quick reference...and I am sick of it.

Oh well, I have to make counter space somehow :)
Old 01-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Love them!!
Old 01-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #36
Senior Cook

I read cook books in bed to help me fall asleep. It doesn't help though because I just get hungry and have to get up for a late night snack a roo!
Old 01-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Got a couple new ones for Christmas. I'm sure I'll find some great recipes to cook exactly as written, and then I'll find some to alter to my personal taste!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #38
Head Chef

Absolutely!!!--especially baking books and soup books.

I also really love to read cookbooks like some folks read novels.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #39
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I just bought myself a great new one for Christmukkah... "My Love for Naples," by Anna Teresa Callen. She's the person I always turn to for "Italian advice," and the book is filled with the history of the area, as well as recipes. She lived in Naples from age 12 to young adulthood, and really knows the area well and loves it.

I know, I didn't NEED another cookbook, least of all Italian, but...

I'm making a baked rice dish from it for a dinner meeting next Monday.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #40
Head Chef

I just got my copy of Bakewise in the mail and returned the other to the library. I am going to do my best to learn more about the science of baking. I think some of it I have absorbed--I can read a recipe and know if it will work or not but I can't necessary explain why. It is just my experience in all the years of baking. I also know the function of certain ingredients. I think Shirley O Corriher will give me the finer points and I look forward to reading more of her book.