"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:15 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
Looking for opinions, German Cookbook

I would like to purchase a German cookbook but unsure what is good to get for someone that is just learning. If anyone has any ideas in this area I would greatly appreciate it. I have seen some for like Pennsylvania Dutch but not sure if they are what I want.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

Sue

Old 01-20-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
Head Chef

Luchow's Cookbook, from the long defunct German restaurant in NYC, has many traditional German recipes.

It is long out of print but just went to ABEbooks.com, my favorite used book source, and found a couple for about six bucks. You might be able to Google or go to Amazon and find one cheaper.

The recipes are reliable.

Good luck.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
Executive Chef

A really good one. The German Cookbook by Mimi Sheraton. A Complete Guide to Mastering Authentic German Cooking.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Two of my German exchange students have given me cookbooks from Germany, in English of course They're both by Dr. Oetker Verlag. One is "German Cooking Today," and the other is "Best Recipes: German Cooking and Baking." I found them, and more, online here: Cookbooks English Language HTH.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Dr. Oetker Schulkochbuch
Old 01-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I'll second the cookbook by Mimi Sheraton as being excellent. Another one I like is The New German Cookbook by Jean Anderson. And if you're interested in regional German cooking, you might like Black Forest Cuisine by Walter Staib. Pa. Dutch cooking has very little to do with today's German cooking but if you want to make shoo-fly pie and chicken corn soup, this is what you want.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookNow
I have been reading this thread with interest, having an inclination to try german cooking lately.
Of all the recommended cookbooks, are there any with photographs? I admit that sometimes a good photo motivates me to cook something, just by how delicious and interesting the food appears initially. Then, I read the recipie, my stomach starts to growl, and I find myself on a mission to go cook it.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
Head Chef

Try this site and check out some of the recipes:

Vienna Schnitzel - German Cuisine
Old 01-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookNow View Post
I have been reading this thread with interest, having an inclination to try german cooking lately.
Of all the recommended cookbooks, are there any with photographs? I admit that sometimes a good photo motivates me to cook something, just by how delicious and interesting the food appears initially. Then, I read the recipie, my stomach starts to growl, and I find myself on a mission to go cook it.
I agree with you. If a recipe has a photo to show what it looks like it will make it visually appealing. I actually will try that recipe over others that don't have a photo especially if it is something of a new cuisine.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookNow View Post
The books I suggested have lots of pictures - almost every other page