"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

I have this set of cheap plastic flexible boards that came in a pack of 3 with different colors... green, blue and clear. These things are quite thin, but thick enough such that you won't cut through them. They are also cheap enough that you can easily replace them when they wear out.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:46 PM   #32
Head Chef

My board for daily use is rock maple, and sits on four rubber-like feet. It never slips. At other times, I have used plastic boards, and a damp side towel underneath kept them stable. I do the same for the grooved maple board that I use for carving roasts, fowl, etc. If I used non-footed boards of any type on a regular basis, I would definitely try the shelf liner suggestions, but for the few times a year I need it, the towel does just fine.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #33
Senior Cook

my somewhat expensive bamboo cutting board is now warped, and i have no idea why.

shucks.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:23 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef View Post
my somewhat expensive bamboo cutting board is now warped, and i have no idea why.

shucks.
Did you put it in a dishwasher?
Old 09-09-2007, 05:57 AM   #35
Head Chef

Don't forget to oil your wooden boards occasionally.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:06 AM   #36
Senior Cook

I have two maple cutting boards one for veggies and one for meat. Never have had a sliding problem just set them on the counter and cut. How sharp is your knife as that is the motion that is lateral and could push the board? I wash them by hand and dry at once. They are at least 10 years old they have not warped. When the surface starts to look worn from the knife cuts I drag the cleaver across the face with the grain of the wood and shave it down. Keep an angle on the cleaver vertical to the wood like a cabinetry scrape is used.

Nobody posted about treating the wood. One way is I rub it with grapeseed oil and cover it with a sheet saran wrap over night. (I do the same with the 16" beechwood salad bowl so it won't dry and crack). The other wood treatment is home made butcher block oil that I rub all over the boards when they start to get that dry weatherd wash bare wood look. To make it buy pharmacy grade mineral oil at the drug store and add it to an equal volume of canning wax melting them together in a double boiler. Pour the hot liquid it into a heat proof sealable container and it cools to a texture of Crisco. Rub it into the wood and the grain glows as if it was given linseed oil.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:10 AM   #37
Senior Cook

LOL lyndalou you posted as I wrote and slipped oiling in ahead of me.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:49 AM   #38
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzy View Post
Did you put it in a dishwasher?
nope. i'm a country boy from louisiana, and i believe in HAND-WASHING all of my dishes, etc.

my apt came with a dishwasher, and in the 2 yrs i've been here, i have yet to even use it once... cause i hand-wash everything.

i have no clue as to why my board warped, and guess what... i'm on my way to bed, bath & beyond to get another one right now.

BTW, i've noticed that both tyler florence AND giada have these big, dark-colored, heavy-looking chopping boards.

does anyone know the brand name of these boards?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #39
Master Chef

I have had problems with cutting boards slipping. Just put a damp cloth under it or one of those silicone pot holders. Unlike some, I cook virtually every day, several times a day, so I love the convenience of the plastic cutting boards, which I can throw into a sink full of water/bleach solution. They aren't as heavy as the beautiful wooden ones, so they do slip. But I can afford a bunch of them, and I just toss them into a sink of bleach solutiion every month or so. Just put a damp cloth under them, or one of those silicone pot holders. By the way, I do NOT have a diswasher at all, so cleaning has a different dimension.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

John Boos

John Boos Hard Rock Maple and the Rubbermaid shelf-liner...rock solid and easy to clean...as a matter of fact my entire kitchen counter is John Boos Hard Rock Maple.

I bought my block, then found out how affordable the countertop is...LOL

You can glimpse both in the attached files.

If something is worth doing...it's worth overdoing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Potrack1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	2998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Potrack2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	2999