"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartssnake View Post
John Boos Hard Rock Maple and the Rubbermaid shelf-liner...rock solid and easy to clean...as a matter of fact my entire kitchen counter is John Boos Hard Rock Maple.

I bought my block, then found out how affordable the countertop is...LOL

You can glimpse both in the attached files.

If something is worth doing...it's worth overdoing!
Hey Dartsnake, the pots and pans and pot rack are pretty impressive, too!

Welcome to DC.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #42
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Anyone ever watch Everyday Italian on Food Network. The host is Giada. I swear she is using a stone cutting board (like this)! It makes me cringe every time she cuts something on that thing....itís like fingernails on a chalkboard. Has anyone else seen that?

Old 09-11-2007, 06:36 PM   #43
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Anyone ever watch Everyday Italian on Food Network. The host is Giada. I swear she is using a stone cutting board (like this)! It makes me cringe every time she cuts something on that thing....itís like fingernails on a chalkboard. Has anyone else seen that?
As far as I know, Giada uses an end grain walnut cutting board, manufactured by Ozark West. It sounds funny when she cuts on it because the Ozark West boards have small rubber feet on the bottom, causing the knife blade to make a hollow sound when it contacts the board.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:43 PM   #44
Certified Pretend Chef

I believe she uses a wood board as well. The noise her knife makes as she scrapes it across the board to gather chopped items send shivers up my spine. Also, you can tell from the sound that the knife is really sharp.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:42 PM   #45
Assistant Cook

Knife Scraping (shiver)

Scraping a knife across the cutting board is the most damaging thing you could do to your precious implement, short slicing off your cabinet handles. The thought of it makes my skin crawl.

LOL

I use a Bash-N-Chop, named by the Galloping Gourmet, Graham Kerr, instead. They sell them at azcooking.com <------NOT A LINK. It is the best scraper, because you can Bash garlic cloves with it, and it has somewhat of an edge, so you can chop, too (if you miss a big chunk with your expensive knife). It also has a small 4 or 5 inch ruler that you can use while cutting dough or whatever...a handy little gadget.

And Thanks for the kind words about the Potrack. I just installed it and am waiting on some help to finish ducting my Rangehood Exhaust Fan and laying down my sheet vinyl to complete my kitchen remodel

Old 09-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #46
Head Chef

That's called a dough scraper, available at most kitchen stores for very little cash (too inexpensive to use plastic!).

Oh, BTW, when I "gather the goodies" after chopping/slicing, I use the BACK SIDE of my knife, not the sharp edge.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #47
Assistant Cook

The Bash-N-Chop is different, however. A dough scraper usually has a handle (plastic or wood) that is affixed on top of the flat blade, projecting on either side, depending on the width of the handle material. Mine is rolled stainless steel, and it can sit flat on a surface and the entire width of the blade can rest against the surface. The back of your blade is squared off and the Bash-N-Chop has an a-l-m-o-s-t sharpened edge that allows getting all juices and oils up off the board, and in your pot.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:24 PM   #48
Certified Pretend Chef

I have the bash and chop and to me it's a board scraper. It may differ in design from other scrapers, but for my purposes there's no difference. I don't use it in place of a knife. It's a poor substitute for a knife at best.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #49
Head Chef

You mean like this one? Same church, different pew.

This is what the young lady at McDonalds uses to cut the grilled chicken breast into strips for the Premium salads!
Old 09-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #50
Assistant Cook

Well, I use it to transfer chopped and sliced foods, either to cook or store. I find it invaluable for large quantities. I pity your knives.