"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 05-31-2006, 05:44 AM   #41
Head Chef

Like others here, I managed to break a garlic press and then went out and bought another (one of the old-fashioned kind, not the "screwy" thing). The fact that we replaced our presses just goes to show how much we love them. I'm even convinced garlic tastes better this way, though I've yet to come up with a reason why. More juice and less pulp? No wastage of flavour seeping into the chopping board? Don't know, but I wouldn't be without my garlic press.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:49 AM   #42
Executive Chef

Have one in a drawer somewhere. Haven't used it for years, because I got sick of cleaning the thing! Nowadays, if I have to break down the cloves, I bash the clove with the flat of my knife blade, or slice really thinly or 'mash' with a little salt in pestle and mortar, depending on recipe.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:05 PM   #43
Head Chef

I don't have a garlic press, but I do have this:

It is called a Garlic Twist. You can use it to bash the clove, so the skin peels of easily, then toss two or three cloves in, put the two pieces together and twist a couple times. Makes a nice paste in just a few seconds, rinses clean under the faucet.

I bought mine at a cooking store, but they sell them at Amazon and other on line places. Just google Garlic Twist.

(I don't get a kickback on this--wish I did, cause I recommend them to everyone who likes garlic.)
Old 06-01-2006, 11:47 PM   #44
Master Chef

Sparrowgrass,

I forgot about this great gadget------does $14-$15 sound like a fair price (that is without shipping and handling which adds about another $5) or did you find it way cheaper at your cooking store? The reason that I ask is that where I live in Houston, if you want to go to a Williams and Sonoma's, for example, it's miles away going through uggh traffic not to mention the price of black gold these days. Otherwise, I'll just order it online. Thanks for letting me be nosy.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #45
Head Chef

I don't own one either... even though I sometimes tend to be a bit of gadget freak, dont see the need. Like others have posted, my chef's knife or Chinese cleaver do the job quite nicely.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:24 PM   #46
Senior Cook

I'm with the others who say the things are useless. If you've got a good enough blade and some mad chops, you can do it just as easily without one, at a faster pace, with less waste, etc.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:43 PM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl
Sparrowgrass,

I forgot about this great gadget------does $14-$15 sound like a fair price (that is without shipping and handling which adds about another $5) or did you find it way cheaper at your cooking store? The reason that I ask is that where I live in Houston, if you want to go to a Williams and Sonoma's, for example, it's miles away going through uggh traffic not to mention the price of black gold these days. Otherwise, I'll just order it online. Thanks for letting me be nosy.
Expat, as I recall, it was about $13. Amazon has it for $12.95, plus shipping.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:40 PM   #48
Master Chef

I've had 3-4 over the years and they were all crap. In fact, they were so useless that they are probably the only kitchen gadget that I've thrown away after 1-2 uses without a second thought! I can get the texture I want with a chef's knife ... without muh trouble. If I ever get lazier and decide try another one - I think I'll take the advice of the folks at America's Test Kitchen and get a Zyliss. I see them use one just about every week and it does what I thought the ones I bought would do.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:21 PM   #49
Master Chef

I weigh in with those who say it's easier and cleaner to just use a chef's knife. Used to have one, but when we went on the road and had to go minimal I dumped it (actually a local chef came to my yard sale and bought most of the kitchen stuff I was selling ... and some I really wasn't going to sell!).
Old 06-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #50
Head Chef

Now that would make an interesting thread: cooking equipment for people on the road. I was dead proud of a kit I put together. Claire, I'm only a minor assistant. As you have seniority, would you be interested in starting this off?