"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #441
Chef Extraordinaire

I use mine more for dry ingredients, like making fresh bread crumbs. Thanks for the heads up, though, tenspeed.

After wanting to get a new tea strainer insert for a glass teapot, a replacement for its original glass insert, I took advantage of a 20% off sale at Harney Tea and got a new mug with its own insert. Bonus, the strainer fits the old teapot!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190420_153417369_HDR.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	34482

Old 04-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #442
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I use mine more for dry ingredients, like making fresh bread crumbs. Thanks for the heads up, though, tenspeed.

After wanting to get a new tea strainer insert for a glass teapot, a replacement for its original glass insert, I took advantage of a 20% off sale at Harney Tea and got a new mug with its own insert. Bonus, the strainer fits the old teapot!
Attachment 34482
Score!

Old 04-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #443
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to be a coffee drinker with sugar and half and half. Then one day I had no half and half. So I made myself a huge cup of British based tea with only a little sugar. I have never gone back to the coffee. Pirate drinks his coffee black with just a little sugar. I simply can't handle black coffee. No matter how you may doctor it up.

I can't help think of all the money I have I have saved for the past couple of years on not purchasing half and half.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:40 AM   #444
Master Chef

So, I got drunk and bought this..lol..well, not really, but my wife likes to tease me that I did..it was a spontaneous purchase fueled by frustration and a bit of white wine..I have gone through a few cheese graters as of late as they tend to wear out from the Parmesan cheese we grate. We eat a lot of pasta..anyhoo, while making dinner I broke another cheese grater and said I want to spend a bit more money and buy something that may last long, so this one came up..A GEFU..Made in Germany, looked good, good reviews..send to cart..box came it was about 2 feet high.."Oh, my Gosh!! What did I buy?" turns out it is only about 12 inches high, works great so far..still haven't found a cupboard where I can store it..lol..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	58379240_994385794253008_5349517707177885696_n (2).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	34490  
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:20 PM   #445
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Thumbs up Another New Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I ordered this, and used it for the first time today...love it. At 3.5 qt, it's ideal for us.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/77E6BWT5GQ12

It will certainly last my lifetime.
Great pot of soup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Ooh!!!
I just ordered the Red one

Name:	IMG_4102.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	34574

I had to wait a little bit, since we were gone for a while...
NOW! What to make in it first?
That was DH's question to me as I pulled it from it's box
"That looks really nice. What are you going to make?
AND what happens when you get it all messed up?"

He knows me too well If my pots and pans look yucky,
I'm compelled to clean them, thoroughly, before I can
cook in them again
My Mother always FREAKS OUT when ever I buy a new
kitchen toy "What do you need that for?" She doesn't cook
Old 04-24-2019, 06:16 AM   #446
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Attachment 34574

I had to wait a little bit, since we were gone for a while...
NOW! What to make in it first?
That was DH's question to me as I pulled it from it's box
"That looks really nice. What are you going to make?
AND what happens when you get it all messed up?"

He knows me too well If my pots and pans look yucky,
I'm compelled to clean them, thoroughly, before I can
cook in them again
My Mother always FREAKS OUT when ever I buy a new
kitchen toy "What do you need that for?" She doesn't cook
That is the size I wanted. Instead I ended up with that huge one and I can't even lift the lid from it. Lucky you. Even Pirate says it is too heavy for him to lift. So unless you have a 10 foot he-man in your home, this is definitely the size to get. Enjoy and make a delicious Hawaiian dish.

Happy cooking and happy eating!
Old 04-25-2019, 02:02 PM   #447
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
...I replaced one of my big saute/frypans with a new beauty...
Not sure if I should be calling this a beauty...or a beast. You see, for the time I've had a glass-topped stove (about a dozen years), most of the pans I've used have had some sort of coating on the bottom. Either it's been an enamel paint coating or, in the case of my current cookware, more non-stick. THIS new pan? It's not only bare stainless steel, but it has a pattern in the surface. Unlike any other pan I own (including a smooth-bottomed SS saute pan, and a good number of Wagner and Lodge cast iron skillets), this All-Clad leaves metal marks on the glass. Not scratches, more like skid marks, no matter how little I might move the pan while it's on the stove.

I've scrubbed (and scrubbed) to get them off using Barkeeper's Friend, but it takes two or three fresh applications to completely remove them. This last time I scrubbed with Barkeeper's once, then wiped down with Weiman's cook top spray a couple of times to make it "all gone". This annoys me so much that I'm not using my pan as often as I want!

OK, I'm not sure I'm looking for suggestions or just venting. But if anyone has a suggestion as to altering the bottom of the pan (a bit of fine steel wool or sandpaper to the edges of the cut-in design?) or an easier way to remove those marks on the glass? I'm all ears. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #448
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Not sure if I should be calling this a beauty...or a beast. You see, for the time I've had a glass-topped stove (about a dozen years), most of the pans I've used have had some sort of coating on the bottom. Either it's been an enamel paint coating or, in the case of my current cookware, more non-stick. THIS new pan? It's not only bare stainless steel, but it has a pattern in the surface. Unlike any other pan I own (including a smooth-bottomed SS saute pan, and a good number of Wagner and Lodge cast iron skillets), this All-Clad leaves metal marks on the glass. Not scratches, more like skid marks, no matter how little I might move the pan while it's on the stove.

I've scrubbed (and scrubbed) to get them off using Barkeeper's Friend, but it takes two or three fresh applications to completely remove them. This last time I scrubbed with Barkeeper's once, then wiped down with Weiman's cook top spray a couple of times to make it "all gone". This annoys me so much that I'm not using my pan as often as I want!

OK, I'm not sure I'm looking for suggestions or just venting. But if anyone has a suggestion as to altering the bottom of the pan (a bit of fine steel wool or sandpaper to the edges of the cut-in design?) or an easier way to remove those marks on the glass? I'm all ears. Thanks.
Sandpaper has it own faults. Pirate burnt the bottom of a SS pan the same size as yours. Only sandpaper would or could remove the burnt on food. Yet it left no scratch marks. Used on another pan, scratch marks everywhere the sandpaper touched. Go figure!
Old 04-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #449
Senior Cook

Try some silicon carbide sandpaper - the wet sand black stuff. The finer grades, starting at 320 grit, won't leave deep scratches, and removes that burned on grease, sanding inder running water; you just move to the next finer grade, to get those fine scratches out. 600 grit will leave a satin finish.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:36 PM   #450
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...Pirate burnt the bottom of a SS pan the same size as yours. Only sandpaper would or could remove the burnt on food...
I don't have a problem with burnt food on the pan bottom. My problem is that the bottom of the pan is leaving metal marks on my glass top stove.

Tags
candy, kitchen