"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #71
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Their bread is worth a visit. We love their baguettes.
Ooh! We love a good baguette!
We have one here at the "Gateway to the Grand Canyon"
that is much closer to us than when
we lived down south.
I'll make a point of stopping in, mahalo, thanks Andy!

Old 05-27-2017, 11:00 PM   #72
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Their bread is worth a visit. We love their baguettes.
For me, it's more like their bread used to be worth a visit. A year or two ago I noticed that the loaves were getting a bit smaller, a bit more dense, and not quite as nice in texture as I was used to. I finally asked one of the clerks if they were having problems with getting the bread to rise. Well, she goes on to tell me that they no longer made the dough in the store. They had been doing that when they opened our location, with the baking crew going in around 3:00 AM to get the ball (of dough ) rolling. She told me that they had recently started getting their bread pre-made and par-baked from a central facility. They also had a new baker on staff and that person was having problems with timing and getting the dough into the oven at just the right time. So, basically, they started making bread the same way most grocery stores do. Heh. I had been hitting Panera up at least twice a week, but that's when I decided to start making bread at home. Now I stop only when I'm in the mood for something specific that I don't make.

Yes, Panera's baguettes are good, but not all that much than the Price Chopper bakery in the same shopping center...and if I'm going to Price Chopper, I'll just buy their in-store baked bread. Some of it is even mixed from scratch there!

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind." ~~~ Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Since I've been making cookies lately for DH for his afternoon coffee and cookies snack, I decided I needed a nice cookie jar. I had been using a Christmas cookie tin, but it bugged me having a Christmas thing out in the kitchen in July So, since I started replacing our old, chipped dishware and serving stuff with Pioneer Woman things, I ordered a Pioneer Woman cookie jar. I've always liked cut- and pressed-glass serving dishes. In fact, my grandmother gave me a pressed-glass cake plate and my great-aunt gave me a pressed-glass relish tray that go very nicely with it.

Baking fail, though I misread the amount of brown sugar that was supposed to go in the batter, so the peanut butter-white chocolate cookies didn't spread properly. But they taste good!
Click image for larger version

Name:	0716171310_HDR.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	27280
Old 07-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #74
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Since I've been making cookies lately for DH for his afternoon coffee and cookies snack, I decided I needed a nice cookie jar. I had been using a Christmas cookie tin, but it bugged me having a Christmas thing out in the kitchen in July So, since I started replacing our old, chipped dishware and serving stuff with Pioneer Woman things, I ordered a Pioneer Woman cookie jar. I've always liked cut- and pressed-glass serving dishes. In fact, my grandmother gave me a pressed-glass cake plate and my great-aunt gave me a pressed-glass relish tray that go very nicely with it.

Baking fail, though I misread the amount of brown sugar that was supposed to go in the batter, so the peanut butter-white chocolate cookies didn't spread properly. But they taste good!
Attachment 27280

I have this: Deathstar Cookie Jar
Old 07-17-2017, 08:37 AM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Girl, you need to get yourself a new camera. I'm dying to see pictures of your house now that you've had time to settle in
Old 07-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #76
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Problem is...aside from the camera (it still has not shown up)...I have things started but not finished. Most complete room is the bedroom and it still needs paint. I need to hire a couple of kids to help with pulling up the carpet in the kitchen and dining room. New items in boxes, new patio doors in the garage. So many projects and Dad is slowing down, doing it all my self. The outside looks good, my trees and perennials are doing well.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #77
Assistant Cook

After years of buying and then getting rid of several different styles and brands of cookie presses, I finally bought a used WearEver Super Shooter. They sell for crazy prices on Ebay, but I managed to find a great deal. I think the one I got is dated 1974. My mother had one that we used every xmas to make dozens upon dozens of cookies, and every model I've tried to buy in my adult life could not compare, so I hunted and hunted until I could find one like hers that was affordable. They need to start manufacturing these again, because the newer cookie presses are terrible.

When that box showed up on my doorstep, I was like a 7-year-old on xmas morning.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Earlier in this thread there was a lively discussion about aprons. To wear or not to wear...that is the question.

At any rate, I love aprons and have quite a collection. Mine range from some with kitties on them to others with paws printed all over to still more with goofy designs. I'm an accomplished seamstress and have several aprons I have made using patterns from the '30s and '40s in vintage fabrics. Can't really say I have a favorite. It's just whatever strikes my mood.

Of course, our Bella kitty likes it best when I wear the one with kitties all over it, but our dog, Harley, is kinda partial to the one with paws on it.

I'm always scouring thrift stores for vintage patterns and am happy when I find one I don't have. Sometimes the thrill of cutting out and sewing a new apron is as exciting as wearing it.

And, yes, I am on a first name basis with Spray 'n Wash and OxiClean. They've never let me down.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #79
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGal View Post
After years of buying and then getting rid of several different styles and brands of cookie presses, I finally bought a used WearEver Super Shooter. They sell for crazy prices on Ebay, but I managed to find a great deal. I think the one I got is dated 1974. My mother had one that we used every xmas to make dozens upon dozens of cookies, and every model I've tried to buy in my adult life could not compare, so I hunted and hunted until I could find one like hers that was affordable. They need to start manufacturing these again, because the newer cookie presses are terrible.

When that box showed up on my doorstep, I was like a 7-year-old on xmas morning.
I love packages! It about killed me when a patient of mine had a unwrapped gift from Christmas and it was the beginning of summer. I was like... um don't you want to open that?! She said oh no it's fine, I'll leave it there. I never got to see what was in it. Lord I'm nosy
Old 07-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #80
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Earlier in this thread there was a lively discussion about aprons. To wear or not to wear...that is the question.

At any rate, I love aprons and have quite a collection. Mine range from some with kitties on them to others with paws printed all over to still more with goofy designs. I'm an accomplished seamstress and have several aprons I have made using patterns from the '30s and '40s in vintage fabrics. Can't really say I have a favorite. It's just whatever strikes my mood.

Of course, our Bella kitty likes it best when I wear the one with kitties all over it, but our dog, Harley, is kinda partial to the one with paws on it.

I'm always scouring thrift stores for vintage patterns and am happy when I find one I don't have. Sometimes the thrill of cutting out and sewing a new apron is as exciting as wearing it.

And, yes, I am on a first name basis with Spray 'n Wash and OxiClean. They've never let me down.
I love pretty aprons. Our TJ Maxx always carries a selection. I just have no where to put them

Tags
candy, kitchen