"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #71
Head Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 2,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Their bread is worth a visit. We love their baguettes.
Ooh! We love a good baguette!
We have one here at the "Gateway to the Grand Canyon"
that is much closer to us than when
we lived down south.
I'll make a point of stopping in, mahalo, thanks Andy!
__________________

__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:00 PM   #72
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 9,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Their bread is worth a visit. We love their baguettes.
For me, it's more like their bread used to be worth a visit. A year or two ago I noticed that the loaves were getting a bit smaller, a bit more dense, and not quite as nice in texture as I was used to. I finally asked one of the clerks if they were having problems with getting the bread to rise. Well, she goes on to tell me that they no longer made the dough in the store. They had been doing that when they opened our location, with the baking crew going in around 3:00 AM to get the ball (of dough ) rolling. She told me that they had recently started getting their bread pre-made and par-baked from a central facility. They also had a new baker on staff and that person was having problems with timing and getting the dough into the oven at just the right time. So, basically, they started making bread the same way most grocery stores do. Heh. I had been hitting Panera up at least twice a week, but that's when I decided to start making bread at home. Now I stop only when I'm in the mood for something specific that I don't make.

Yes, Panera's baguettes are good, but not all that much than the Price Chopper bakery in the same shopping center...and if I'm going to Price Chopper, I'll just buy their in-store baked bread. Some of it is even mixed from scratch there!
__________________

__________________
"Cooking is the art of adjustment." ~~~Jacques Pépin

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind." ~~~ Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 18,940
Since I've been making cookies lately for DH for his afternoon coffee and cookies snack, I decided I needed a nice cookie jar. I had been using a Christmas cookie tin, but it bugged me having a Christmas thing out in the kitchen in July So, since I started replacing our old, chipped dishware and serving stuff with Pioneer Woman things, I ordered a Pioneer Woman cookie jar. I've always liked cut- and pressed-glass serving dishes. In fact, my grandmother gave me a pressed-glass cake plate and my great-aunt gave me a pressed-glass relish tray that go very nicely with it.

Baking fail, though I misread the amount of brown sugar that was supposed to go in the batter, so the peanut butter-white chocolate cookies didn't spread properly. But they taste good!
Click image for larger version

Name:	0716171310_HDR.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	27280
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #74
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Since I've been making cookies lately for DH for his afternoon coffee and cookies snack, I decided I needed a nice cookie jar. I had been using a Christmas cookie tin, but it bugged me having a Christmas thing out in the kitchen in July So, since I started replacing our old, chipped dishware and serving stuff with Pioneer Woman things, I ordered a Pioneer Woman cookie jar. I've always liked cut- and pressed-glass serving dishes. In fact, my grandmother gave me a pressed-glass cake plate and my great-aunt gave me a pressed-glass relish tray that go very nicely with it.

Baking fail, though I misread the amount of brown sugar that was supposed to go in the batter, so the peanut butter-white chocolate cookies didn't spread properly. But they taste good!
Attachment 27280

I have this: Deathstar Cookie Jar
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:37 AM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 18,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Girl, you need to get yourself a new camera. I'm dying to see pictures of your house now that you've had time to settle in
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #76
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,112
Problem is...aside from the camera (it still has not shown up)...I have things started but not finished. Most complete room is the bedroom and it still needs paint. I need to hire a couple of kids to help with pulling up the carpet in the kitchen and dining room. New items in boxes, new patio doors in the garage. So many projects and Dad is slowing down, doing it all my self. The outside looks good, my trees and perennials are doing well.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #77
Assistant Cook
 
CubsGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Nashville
Posts: 33
After years of buying and then getting rid of several different styles and brands of cookie presses, I finally bought a used WearEver Super Shooter. They sell for crazy prices on Ebay, but I managed to find a great deal. I think the one I got is dated 1974. My mother had one that we used every xmas to make dozens upon dozens of cookies, and every model I've tried to buy in my adult life could not compare, so I hunted and hunted until I could find one like hers that was affordable. They need to start manufacturing these again, because the newer cookie presses are terrible.

When that box showed up on my doorstep, I was like a 7-year-old on xmas morning.
__________________
In some ways, you know, people that don't exist, are much nicer than people that do. ~Lewis Carroll
CubsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,373
Earlier in this thread there was a lively discussion about aprons. To wear or not to wear...that is the question.

At any rate, I love aprons and have quite a collection. Mine range from some with kitties on them to others with paws printed all over to still more with goofy designs. I'm an accomplished seamstress and have several aprons I have made using patterns from the '30s and '40s in vintage fabrics. Can't really say I have a favorite. It's just whatever strikes my mood.

Of course, our Bella kitty likes it best when I wear the one with kitties all over it, but our dog, Harley, is kinda partial to the one with paws on it.

I'm always scouring thrift stores for vintage patterns and am happy when I find one I don't have. Sometimes the thrill of cutting out and sewing a new apron is as exciting as wearing it.

And, yes, I am on a first name basis with Spray 'n Wash and OxiClean. They've never let me down.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #79
Sous Chef
 
Merlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WV
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGal View Post
After years of buying and then getting rid of several different styles and brands of cookie presses, I finally bought a used WearEver Super Shooter. They sell for crazy prices on Ebay, but I managed to find a great deal. I think the one I got is dated 1974. My mother had one that we used every xmas to make dozens upon dozens of cookies, and every model I've tried to buy in my adult life could not compare, so I hunted and hunted until I could find one like hers that was affordable. They need to start manufacturing these again, because the newer cookie presses are terrible.

When that box showed up on my doorstep, I was like a 7-year-old on xmas morning.
I love packages! It about killed me when a patient of mine had a unwrapped gift from Christmas and it was the beginning of summer. I was like... um don't you want to open that?! She said oh no it's fine, I'll leave it there. I never got to see what was in it. Lord I'm nosy
__________________
"Learning gives creativity, creativity leads to thinking, thinking provides knowledge, knowledge makes you great."
-Abdul Kalam
Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #80
Sous Chef
 
Merlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WV
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Earlier in this thread there was a lively discussion about aprons. To wear or not to wear...that is the question.

At any rate, I love aprons and have quite a collection. Mine range from some with kitties on them to others with paws printed all over to still more with goofy designs. I'm an accomplished seamstress and have several aprons I have made using patterns from the '30s and '40s in vintage fabrics. Can't really say I have a favorite. It's just whatever strikes my mood.

Of course, our Bella kitty likes it best when I wear the one with kitties all over it, but our dog, Harley, is kinda partial to the one with paws on it.

I'm always scouring thrift stores for vintage patterns and am happy when I find one I don't have. Sometimes the thrill of cutting out and sewing a new apron is as exciting as wearing it.

And, yes, I am on a first name basis with Spray 'n Wash and OxiClean. They've never let me down.
I love pretty aprons. Our TJ Maxx always carries a selection. I just have no where to put them
__________________

__________________
"Learning gives creativity, creativity leads to thinking, thinking provides knowledge, knowledge makes you great."
-Abdul Kalam
Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
candy, kitchen

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.