"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #41
Assistant Cook

With the one I have recommended the finger guard is useful. You should use it always, but if you are extra careful it is not essential. But when processing large amounts it is quite comfortable.
They also sell special bowls, at least in Europe, in which the slicer docks comfortably.
http://www.amazon.com/Borner-Oval-Sl...2844038&sr=1-7

The newer version (I think it was in recommended items on amazon) also dices, but I have never used it.
http://www.amazon.com/Swissmar-Borne...2844038&sr=1-2

The V shape makes cutting easier. A slanted blade is an old French invention from the French revolution - but they used it to cut heads off. Be wary, as this mandolin is extremely sharp (those are basically surgical-grade knifes) and it can take your fingertip off.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardeffect View Post
With the one I have recommended the finger guard is useful. You should use it always, but if you are extra careful it is not essential. But when processing large amounts it is quite comfortable.
They also sell special bowls, at least in Europe, in which the slicer docks comfortably.
Borner Oval Slicing Bowl - Swissmar: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen

The newer version (I think it was in recommended items on amazon) also dices, but I have never used it.
Swissmar Borner V Power Mandoline, V-7000, White: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen

The V shape makes cutting easier. A slanted blade is an old French invention from the French revolution - but they used it to cut heads off. Be wary, as this mandolin is extremely sharp (those are basically surgical-grade knifes) and it can take your fingertip off.
And not just when you're using it to slice.........
Whatever kind you get, I'd strongly recommend you store it and the blades in something like a see through shoe box. Mine new one came with it's own plastic container but most do not. I stored my old one on a cupboard shelf, and you can guess why that wasn't a safe thing to do. Just saying........

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

I think (could be wrong) the only difference between a V-slicer and a mandolin is that a mandolin is adjustable with a wheel or screw to exactly the thickness you want. The V-slicer comes with removable blades. So I don't know why they call it a V-slicer/mandolin
the mandolin i've got has blades of several sorts that may be easily changed, & is adjustable. the v-slicers varied & there was usually not a guard, nor a stand for stability, although a few could have the blades changed on them.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #44
Assistant Cook

V-slicer is a mandolin with a V-shaped blade. Every V-slicer is a mandolin, but not every mandolin is a V-slicer ;)
Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #45
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardeffect
V-slicer is a mandolin with a V-shaped blade. Every V-slicer is a mandolin, but not every mandolin is a V-slicer ;)
Ehhh this brought up bad memories of logic "games" on the LSAT
Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

I just got my mandolin in AND... the local grocer is having a BOGO on yellow onions starting tomorrow
Old 11-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I just got my mandolin in AND... the local grocer is having a BOGO on yellow onions starting tomorrow
So stock up and remember you can freeze those onions after you slice them up on your new mandolin. Just like you would find in the frozen food section of your grocery store.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #48
Sous Chef

You can also Carmelize the onions and freeze in portions. I do it a lot it cuts down on food prep time as onions take forever to Carmelize.

May I also suggest making Mujaddara (sp?) if you have an abundance of onions.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #49
Executive Chef

What you want is a mandoline. A mandolin is a stringed musical instrument, similar to a guitar.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
You can also Carmelize the onions and freeze in portions. I do it a lot it cuts down on food prep time as onions take forever to Carmelize...
Yes, we were discussing this on a resurrected thread recently. That's what prompted me to get one