"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Old 02-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Thermometer in the oven? (merged)

Just wondering how many use a thermometer in the oven to double check oven temp? Does it make much difference is the unit runs hot or cold? What brand thermonmeters are best ????

Bob J

Hipgrncln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
Senior Cook
In my old apartment I did but that was a really old stove.
When i moved I forgot it there. i thought about getting a new one but I don't seem to have any problems with my stove right now so I don't think it is that important.

"Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings"
-Cheris Kramerae, author of A Feminist Dictionary, 1996.

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Master Chef
My stove really needs to be checked, I've been having problem with it again, have been thinking about geting one to check the real temps, but haven't goten thee yet.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #4
Executive Chef
ovens and stoves vary quite a bit, even pricey ones. In fact my new very pricey Wolf seemed so gentle I was concerned...fact is with no hot spots and very even heating, it is gentler and kinder to my food than I expected. Ex: If you preheat to 350 and put a room temp pan with roast in the oven, the temp all around the top of the meat is cooler until the pan gets up to temp. That can happen as the gas or coil blasts on turning red and actually overheating the oven, or it can be a gradual event where the sides of the oven are at temp and radiating heat outwards.

I had an apt with a magic chef that was fierce...overheated and burned everything unless you were really observant. Had a Whirlpool that was a plain jane stove but kept a fairly even temp. And my Wolf is very kind to my food. Agas are too as are Le Cornue ranges.

An oven thermometer of $15 or so should show you the heating habbits of your stove.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I always use an oven thermometer. Our oven is essentially brand new but I learned early on that when I set the temp and let it preheat, say to 350 degrees F, when the oven "beeped" to tell me the oven was ready, it lied.

In fact, the oven was more than 20 degrees from my set temp. Preheating is an important step in cooking nearly everything. A greater than 20-degree difference in beginning to cook something can make a huge difference in the end result.

I wouldn't be without my oven thermometer.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
Master Chef
Sure the actual oven temp matters! How much depends on what your using the oven for ... and hot much too hot, or too cold makes a difference. If you have a good thermometer you can always turn the knob up or down to get the correct temperature.

My preference is a bulb type thermometer- they never need calibrating. My favorite is made by Taylor - model 5921 "Commercial Oven Guide Thermometer". Here is a link to what they look like. They generally run about $15 - but prices can range from $12 - $17 depending on where you buy them.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
Executive Chef
I always use an oven thermometer. In fact, when I first read this question, I was thinking, what other way is there to track the oven temp ? I have used many ovens and have always relied on the thermometer in the oven. My current oven has an unsettleing amount of play in the oven dial. Thanks Michael for the picture of a better thermometer than what I am used to.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:55 AM   #8
Senior Cook
I bought an oven thermometer to check the temp in my oven and it showed a 25 degree difference. I called a repair man to calibrate my oven and he said it was right on. The thermometer was off. So much for that. It's like getting a second opinion from a doctor. Who's right??
VegasDramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #9
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.

Always use one, usually two, (one broke) that way I can be sure. My oven is about 25 deg. too hot and I usually preheat 30 mins if I need pre-heating.
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
I have a digital thermometer that I use when smoking meats. I have used that to check the calibration on my oven and currently it's worrking fine. The nice thing with it is has an alarm that can be set for a certain temp. to let you know if your oven is geting too hot. It's also a multi task tool because I use for deep frying and also on the smoker. I actually use 2 out there, one for the smoker tem and one for the meat temp. I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $25.

JDP is offline   Reply With Quote