"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-12-2006, 01:52 PM   #21
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Well, long before the food processor and grinder ever came along - and that was eons later, next to the knife, THIS tool did all of the mashing and pulverizing of most soft and semi-soft foods, garlic, onions, herbs and spices.

Looks like it was used during ancient Biblical times.

Today, people STILL like to use it just to get the feel of using their hands to grind or mash food with this tool. I was told that it makes great pesto sauce for pasta.

For those of you who might not know what this tool looks like, go to http:// CHEFS - Search Results and view the tool which appears in the extrem left of the blocks on the page.
Okay.
I've never actually had to use one of those. But I have seen many of them
I've seen some made of stone, or marble. Are they more expensive, or close the price of a food processor? I don't even know the price of either of them.
:P

Old 12-12-2006, 03:35 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I have had the same mortle and pestle for over 30 years, is kinda a rough ceramic deal and I am embarrassed to say that the only thing I use it, daily, for is to grind pepper corns.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:47 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Old time Pharmacist used them as well....Notice them sitting around in Pharmacys...as decorations made of plastic.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboenomo
Okay.
I've seen some made of stone, or marble. Are they more expensive, or close the price of a food processor? I don't even know the price of either of them.
Go to Cooking.com and look up mortar and pestle - you'll get all the varieties they carry.

I have a porcelain one that isn't really good for anthing, my marble one gets used a lot, my small molcajete gets used quite frequently and my large molcajete (53 pounds) doesn't get used that much. Too hard to lift and clean! I still haven't seasoned it fully - it's heavy as heck and HUGE!

Short story - about 1967 or so we were in some remote islands in the South Pacific. We apparently startled some natives who went to hide amongst the pineapples and such. A well-worn mortar and pestle made of lava rock was there with something in it. Even at the age of 12 I thought that mortar and pestle was beautiful and I don't know why but that is something I have never forgotten.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:26 PM   #25
Head Chef

Yes, mine is a Mason Cash ceramic. I use it if I want something like cracked peppercorns, or to mash fresh herbs and garlic and stuff into a paste, etc.

They aren't the cheapest ones around, but they have been in the business since the early 1800's. Really good stuff.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Okay.
Typically they are not even close to the price of a food processor, but they don't really take the place of one either. A mortar and pestle is a separate and unique tool, and although a processor can do some of the things that a mortar can, it won't be the same. For smaller amounts the food processor won't even come close.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:33 PM   #27
Sous Chef

We've got a marble one and a molcajete (up top of the boat - in a bin with the tortilla press.) I love them both.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:10 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I'm getting a stainless steel one one under the tree this year. Does the material matter? or is it just aesthetics?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:55 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Okay.

I'd say that they are way cheaper than a food processor because this tool requires you to use elbow grease (your hands and arms), while a food processor works with motor power.

And BTW, now I remember!! I DID actually buy one before! It's one that's made from pewter. But I can't find it. It's smaller than the one that I just bought though.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:22 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Okay.
Gobo, in my humble opinion you are making the wrong comparison. A food processor is like a knife. A mortar and pestle or molcajete is more like a grinder. Even that is confusing because a lot of "grinders" are motorized spinning blades. Think grinder or mill as in two flat pieces of stone or steel rotating in opposite directions crushing stuff in between them.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote