"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 05-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

All Clad Cleaning Question

Hi!
My husband and I are really wanting to purchase a set of the all clad cookware, but after doing some reading I am a bit concerned about 1 thing.
After each use, are you supposed to clean with a product such as BKF? Or can you clean with a normal, (obviously good quality) dish soap and then use BKF as a regular maintenance?

Right now I have some cheaper SS cookware with copper bottoms that does just fine, and I clean it with dishsoap after each use and like, monthly do a good BKF cleaning to bring the copper back to life as well as remove any spots on the interior. Would this suffice for the all clad cookware, or no?

My concern is, I do not like using the BKF. I think it does a fabulous job and I love the results, but it tears up my hands and I have to hardcore scrub out my sink after because it leaves a weird film, and on top of that, does it kill any bacteria, because I was under the impression it did not.

Anywho. Just wanted to be educated and aware of what I will need to be prepared to do do before we make this purchase.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Head Chef

It depends on how the pot or pan looks. If dish soap and a brush or plastic scrubber gets it clean, that's all I do. If I still see food or hard water rings in the pan, I use Barkeeper's Friend.

BTW, I don't understand why you're having problems with the BKF. I never bothers my hands. I just put a very small amount of BKF on a damp paper towel and scrub lightly. I do always use a little detergent afterward to be sure no BKF is left on the surface of the pan.

One alternative to BKF is Bon Ami. It's even less harsh than BKF.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I don't know why either but it really drys out my hands and makes them really red and flaky and sore, and I am an esthetician so I have to make sure I can use my hands.
I was taught to wet the pan and a cloth, and sprinkle a light amount of BKF on the pot or on the cloth and rub in circular motions. Which is what I do...idk maybe my hands are just sensitive.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
Master Chef

you just sound sensitive to it.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
Master Chef

If you are talking about SS you can just throw it in the dishwasher or wash by hand.

You only need BKF if there is a stain or spot.

IMO it's probably one of the most maintainance-free kinds of cookware you can buy.

BKF isn't meant to disinfect or clean, it is more of a stain remover, so you need to clean your cookware after you use it.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
Head Chef

Try the Bon Ami. Maybe you'll be less sensitive to it.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC Miss Wilson.... Make yourself at home!!

I would say you can pretty much treat (clean) your All Clad the same way you are cleaning your SS Copper Bottom Cookware...It should be just fine. If the BKF causes your hands problems the Bon Ami product may be an option.

Also this may interest you...Click Here

Enjoy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

ohh thanks for the link Uncle Bob!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

BKF dries out my hands terribly too; they get very red and chapped. But I love the results on my All Clad stainless so I keep using it. In the future, I think I may resort to wearing dorky rubber gloves, lol.

Btw, I use BKF after washing my pans with regular dish soap, and only if there are remaining stains or discoloration.

P.S.--I love love love my All Clad stainless. Def go for it!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwilson18 View Post
ohh thanks for the link Uncle Bob!
You're Welcome!! Also, I am of the opinion that buying "Sets" of Cookware is not always the best use of one's resources...Often times you wind up with pieces that you really don't need/use/want. Deciding what pieces you will actually use/need and buying just those is sometimes a better option....
Never pay retail for All-clad...Look for sales, promotions etc, both locally and on the Internet!!

Have Fun!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote