"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-02-2007, 09:37 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I have also used brillo pads and soap and water on tough ones and then you just have to remenber to lightly oil it after.

I have gone to a garage sales and purchased alot of my cast iron - you can pick it up real cheap. I just purchased a 5qt dutch oven. I once got a huge frying pan and it was really nasty dirty build up and no pun insteaded but dirt cheap. I took it home - put a wire brush to it and sandpaper scrapped and fine sand it and started up the gas grill and oiled it well and heated it on the grill so it wouldn't stink up the house and occasionaly reoiled - When done it looks brand new. I often use soap and water on mine if they don't wipe out easy or if i cook fish So you can't hurt cast iron as long as you remenber to keep it seasoned.
Are you referring to real soap or are you using a detergent? Some soaps have less degreasing properties than many detergents.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I have found a Chore Boy copper scrubbie works wonders getting out the stuck-on stuff, plus, they're easy to clean and cheap to replace.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #13
Master Chef

If the skillet is well seasoned it's perfectly fine to go at it with dish soap and a scrubber if need be. I do that all the time.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #14
Head Chef

I scrape my cast iron after cooking if anything appears to stick with an old turner blade that broke loose from its handle. Wipe with paper towells. If scouring is needed, I use the coiled stainless steel pads. I don't like the new Lodge as the interior is rough, making it IMO hard to clean. Any old I buy I clean thoroughly and reseason as I don't want to wonder just what was in it last. The gook on the outside of old cast iron can be removed with a wire brush chucked in a drill, or chiseled off. Some really ratty old pots and skillets look really good after an hour or so of cleaning
Old 03-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #15
Cook

Yes, I think you have some confusion as to baked on crud and seasoning. I fill my pans with water, put on the stove to boil and then dump the water down the drain and go to the pan with a paper towel. The crud comes off and all that is left is cast iron (seasoned of course). If there is anything left on the pan I put some kosher salt in it and scrub away. After all that I rub down the pan with cooking oil.

When finished the pan should look like this:

Granted the bottoms of some of my older pans (50 or more years old) have layers of cooked on crud, but the insides look like the picture.

Chad

When