"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 06-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I had a grill pan but got rid of it. I just use the 10" or 12" skillet

Me too. Grill pans don't grill your food.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
Head Chef

I just wanna say that you can buy a Lodge preseasoned grill pan, and to that I say a big ThankYou to Lodge. I just couldn't get my cast iron pans seasoned right. Lodge's preseasoned pans kinda rock.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
...Lodge's preseasoned pans kinda rock.

Yes, they do. It's pretty good seasoning too. It's a good starting point to build on.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

The only things I use a non-stick pan for are eggs and crepes. I have a round cast-iron grill pan and a Le Creuset enameled panini pan (basically a square grill pan with a lid to make panini). I prefer the Le Creuset, partly because it's square (I find the food I usually cook in it fits better) and partly because it cleans up so easily and needs no seasoning.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Just out of curiosity... why does a grill pan necessarily result in more smoke than a skillet?
Old 06-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankin View Post
Just out of curiosity... why does a grill pan necessarily result in more smoke than a skillet?
It doesn't. The thing is, a cast-iron pan (any type) that has been heated to screaming hot will create more smoke than a non-stick pan, which is not intended to be heated that hot; in fact, I don't think it's safe to heat them that high.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #17
Head Chef

GotGarlic, that is exactly why I would not buy a non-stick grill pan--the coating gives off fumes when it gets too hot. A grill pan needs to be HOT.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #18
Executive Chef

cast iron. for all the reasons you heard before.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It doesn't. The thing is, a cast-iron pan (any type) that has been heated to screaming hot will create more smoke than a non-stick pan, which is not intended to be heated that hot; in fact, I don't think it's safe to heat them that high.
+1

Not exactly why the cast iron makes more smoke and not sure I've adequately tested that, but think that's right. There's no way I'll heat a coated pan that hot no matter what the manufacturer says.

Iron is virtually indestructible and won't come off in your food unless you cook acidic items (e.g. tomatoes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
GotGarlic, that is exactly why I would not buy a non-stick grill pan--the coating gives off fumes when it gets too hot. A grill pan needs to be HOT.
+2

I would be more comfortable with a coated electric panini grill where the manufacturer has designed it for specific use with built in heating. OTOH you could heat a pan to almost any temperature you want, certainly several hundred degrees F, far hotter than would be safe to heat a coated pan. I'm not sure that would be a good idea for cast iron either but at least you know it won't give off toxic chemicals.

Iron is actually a necessary part of our diet. :)
Old 06-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #20
Sous Chef

I gave away my cast iron grill pan, which is what I recommend for grill pans, and currently use a carbon steel pan, the thick heavy type, not black steel, for searing meat. Finish in the broiler, same pan. Carbon steel seasons like cast iron, and each pan develops its own personality, depending of what you mostly sear and broil in it. Cows...very nice. Good for pigs, too.

Tags
grill