"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-27-2006, 12:13 PM   #11
Master Chef

Personaly, I think you should check out Maccy's. They have cookwhere for everybody. Just tell the sales person what you are looking for. Then wait for sale time. I've bought a lot of pots and pans there and really like them. Tools of trade is my favorite. But they have a lot of good stuff. Not so long ago I went there to replace one pot, came home with set of 4 and plus one non-stick one. The price was just too low to pass

Old 09-27-2006, 01:12 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
A number of our members have had repeated serious problems with Calphalon One pans. There are issues with the coating bubbling up. They replace the defectiv pans for free but it keeps happening.
I have three C1 pans and, like JDP, have also had no problems whatsoever. Were these issues you mention with C1 regular or C1 nonstick?

That said, I think that they are a bit pricey considerering rede2learn's personal info.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:19 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't recall the details. There was an issue with the newer pans made in a different country from the originals. The old one vs. the new ones were differently marked - one with an X and the other with a Z. There was a long thread on it a while ago if you care to search.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:19 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I haven't found a set I like better than my Calphalon Hard Anodized set - but it's the OLD set they don't make anymore - there is NO coating of any kind inside these. If I had to replace them I would start with a SS set from Sam's - their Member Mark set. It's in your price range.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:39 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
I don't recall the details. There was an issue with the newer pans made in a different country from the originals. The old one vs. the new ones were differently marked - one with an X and the other with a Z. There was a long thread on it a while ago if you care to search.
Andy M, I do vaguely remember that thread. But it referred to Scanpan, not C1.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:47 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I haven't found a set I like better than my Calphalon Hard Anodized set - but it's the OLD set they don't make anymore - there is NO coating of any kind inside these. If I had to replace them I would start with a SS set from Sam's - their Member Mark set. It's in your price range.
I have some Calphalon One anodized infused (not nonstick), and it has no coating. You can use metal utensils without a problem. It does a good job with searing and browning and is a slightly easier to clean than SS.

That said, I actually do prefer SS. My favorite pan is my AC copper core large saute pan, but I won't be adding more of that line to my kitchen anytime soon.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:04 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
Andy M, I do vaguely remember that thread. But it referred to Scanpan, not C1.

Oh Oh! I goofed! Thanks for keeping me honest, suzy.

Sorry, everyone.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:32 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Oh Oh! I goofed! Thanks for keeping me honest, suzy.

Sorry, everyone.
Hey, no problem. At least I didn't start searching for X's or Z's on my Calphalon pans.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:46 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to C-Mart
I'm doing what many are suggesting... I buy a decent pan every now and then, and eventually I'll have a great, if mis-matched set. As of now my good pans consist of a 1qt. Emirril Saucier (which if I am not mistaken, is made by All-Clad), an 8" All-Clad SS skillet which a friend gave to me as a Christmas present last year, and a 10" Calphalon "egg pan" which is non-stick (I don't recall the line it is from, but it was $30 at Bed, Bath, & Beyond, and has the number 1390 stamped on the bottom). I am always very careful not to use anything metal in this pan, and so far I love it. I also just got a Le Crueset 7qt. Doufeu Oven for my birthday. Slowly but surely my cookware is getting better and better.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:21 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Hi Rede2learn,

I prefer stainless to anodized, because frankly I don't like pans that won't go into the dishwasher (unless it's that very heavy (and expensive) stainless-lined European copper, of which I have exactly one pan, bought in the days when the euro and the dollar were on an equal footing).

I'd suggest you make a list of the sizes/types of pans you want, and check out the local shops to see the various lines in person. Try the handles, check the lids, feel the weight. Don't go for anything flimsy. When you've decided what you want, go on-line and check out the specials at Amazon.

I also suggest you try the multi-ply stainless (usually layers of aluminum sandwiched between stainless layers) rather than the disk-bottom type. Multiclad heats much more evenly, and there are no "edges" to the temperature.

I believe KitchenAid, All-Clad and Cuisinart have certain lines that are this style. If you decide on All-Clad, the best place for good prices is at their on-line outlet store:

http://www.cookwarenmore.com

It's better to have just a few pans you like, rather than loads of pans that frustrate you. I'd suggest starting with one each of a good-sized saucepan and skillet.

Have fun!