Help with coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have never been a fan of anything hazelnut.

I have tried numerous flavored coffees and never found anything that kept an interest. I don't want a mocha flavored coffee, I will take a mocha though. I have always said I favor bold simple flavors.

I really like hazelnuts unless they are squished, yuck! I have yet to taste a flavoured coffee that didn't taste of yucky chemicals.

Clearly you all have more refined palettes than I do. I love me some flavored coffee. I do agree there are some that are quite chemical tasting, but there are lots that we really like.

I'm another one who dislikes hazelnut FLAVORING but I love hazelnuts themselves...and nutella is divine.

Clearly you all have more refined palettes than I do. I love me some flavored coffee. I do agree there are some that are quite chemical tasting, but there are lots that we really like.

I'm another one who dislikes hazelnut FLAVORING but I love hazelnuts themselves...and nutella is divine.

My palette may well not be more refined than yours. I gave up on flavoured coffees a long time ago. There might be non-chemical tasting ones now. And I can't stand Nutella. I have to ask when some dessert claims to have praline, 'cause some people think that means squished hazelnuts.

I thought praline was pecans.

So did I. After getting a piece of cheesecake that was ruined with that squished hazelnut paste, I looked up praline on Wikipedia, http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY, and learned that the pecan stuff is "American praline". It turns out that there are a number of different confections with nuts that are called pralines.

When I lived in Denmark I got tricked by the word, "nougat". I only knew about white nougat. There is also dark nougat. "German nougat" is that horrible hazelnut paste.

i'm still trying to suss the bee gee's connection to pralines...to coffee...to stayin' alive...if there is one, taxy? help...?:)

I love nuts, hazelnuts most of all--love lindt's francais special collection of pralines. I thought it meant 'heavenly chocolates, artistically shaped, with nuts tucked in somewhere'....

Last edited:
Turns out my sister got a Keurig for Mother's Day and is experimenting. I offered her the Newmans for a test. I had it for a second time today and still don't like it so I'm willing to give it away. She mentioned a Gloria Jean coffee she really likes but I don't know which one.
I don't know if this works but my Mother said her Mother used to put a pinch of salt into the coffee pot to take away any bitterness.

I don't know if this works but my Mother said her Mother used to put a pinch of salt into the coffee pot to take away any bitterness.

This is true. I remember reading about this many years ago in an article about how different people taste things differently. Salt does reduce bitter flavors, and there's scientific proof! ;)

Does Salt in Coffee Reduce Bitterness?

I guess I'd have to add it to my cup. The Keurig system makes no provision for the addition of salt.

Portuguese coffee is renowned for being wonderful. Turns out that they have a lot of calcium in their water and this improves the taste of coffee. The same beans used in the same type of espresso maker doesn't make as good a coffee outside of Portugal as it does in Portugal.

Andy M. If you really wanted to put the salt in the Keurig system you could probably put in a pod. Close the lid, then open it back up before the hot water runs through it. There should be a small hole in the top of the pod. Simply sprinkle some salt in there then run the hot water. Just my .02

Andy M. If you really wanted to put the salt in the Keurig system you could probably put in a pod. Close the lid, then open it back up before the hot water runs through it. There should be a small hole in the top of the pod. Simply sprinkle some salt in there then run the hot water. Just my .02

Thanks Chris. I thought of that but decided a quick sprinkle in the cup was easier.

Back
Top Bottom