"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 02-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Herbal Teas And Aromatherapy

I enjoy making herbal teas that have health benefits. They definitely have effects that can be used, and many good ones are handy in my spice cabinet.

One that I enjoy is basil. It's good for you, and tastes good too. I love to make a batch of chicken broth using a palmful of dried basil. I drink some, and use some to cook with.

Do any of you like to do this? If so, what are your favorites and why?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Chamomile Tea at bedtime. Peppermint tea during the day will wake you up without giving you the jitters like coffee can.

I am interested in knowing more about parsley tea.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Good morning, Princess. You and I must be on the same wavelength. camomile and peppermint are the two I use the most lately (Bigelow).

I boil a couple of bags in water, let it steep, then use a funnel to put in a quart container, adding water to fill.

I've been getting too much salt lately, and I can really tell my blood pressure is way up there. For that, I'm drinking these teas just to have a beverage that isn't stimulating.

At first I was afraid to drink camomile during the day because I thought it would make me nap all the time, but I found that it's just a delicious relaxing tea.

This shopping trip I got more of the camomile and some mint, but I also got Red Raspberry. Boy, is that tasty!!!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Good morning, Princess. You and I must be on the same wavelength. Camomile and peppermint are the two I use the most lately (Bigelow).

I boil a couple of bags in water, let it steep, then use a funnel to put in a 2 quart container, adding water to fill.

I've been getting too much salt lately, and I can really tell my blood pressure is way up there. For that, I'm drinking these teas just to have a beverage that isn't stimulating.
Good morning, Zhizara! I'm down to one cup of coffee a day...mostly because of my additives...cream and sugar. I have to decide what I GET to have during the day since I am low-fat, low-salt, low-carb etcetera, ad-nauseum...

I better get moving...don't want to miss anything today!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Tea mushroom
Sweet and sour!
Kombucha (Medusomyces gisevi)

Kombucha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is especially good in the morning, after a drunken feast...

And in general a good tonic.

It is a lot of recipes.
Depending on that what tea to use. Black or green or infusion of herbs. To use sugar or honey...

And yes, it is impossible for diabetics!

Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Everymom

Zhizara, there are so MANY lovely teas out there that have health benefits. I don't know if you can find rosehips or lavender where you are, but both of those are really fragrant and good for you. There was a discussion recently about any of the Celestial Seasonings fruit teas being good for bringing down your BP because of the hibiscus in them. I'm also fond of cranberries and lemon zest with boiling water poured over them. Zippy!

Incidentally, if you are working on getting the BP down, apparently bananas are REALLY helpful with that. My sister is using a combination of natural things to bring her BP down and they are really working well for her. 2 bananas, 2 cups of hibiscus tea and a tsp of benefibre stirred into one of those per day. Its brought her down to within 7 points of normal and she was scary high.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

The whole science about that: herbal medicine (phytotherapy). The same principles as at pharmacology. In difference from similar to homeopathy...

And the blood pressure well normalizes ginkgo
Ginkgo biloba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I love hibiscus tea with a bit of cranberry juice, over ice. Hibiscus tea/Celestial Seasonings also reportedly lowers cholesterol as well as BP.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Chamomile Tea at bedtime. Peppermint tea during the day will wake you up without giving you the jitters like coffee can.

I am interested in knowing more about parsley tea.
That's funny. I dislike mint, especially peppermint, but I will drink mint on the rare occasion I can't sleep. All the mints I have tried make me sleepy.

I don't like chamomile either, but it makes a good, soothing eye wash.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

One tea to avoid if you have high blood pressure is Rosemary. I had a plant last year, and made a strong tea. It took a couple of days to have an effect. My heart was pounding hard for a couple of days until it was out of my system.

I knew that it would raise my blood pressure, but didn't think it would have such a strong effect. No more Rosemary for me.