"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 11-11-2006, 06:53 PM   #1
Cook

Unusual Cleaver?

Hey guys!

So i was helping out with yardwork at my grandparents house today and my grandma wanted to show me all the knives she never uses so she could know whether to give em to me or not . The one that interested me the most was this like... 20 pound Cleaver. She said she bought it a long time ago to cut up some chicken bones and never used it again. On the package it said something along the lines of "Wusthof Messermeier Cleaver". The handle was plastic and like, octogonal. Unlike the listed cleavers on Wusthof.com, the blade was a all right angles, no curves. So does anyone know anything about this knife? Is it good? What could i use it for?

She also gave me this little Henckels 4 star Garnishing knife (looks like a birds beak), how do i use that thing??

Alright, thanks!!!

Old 11-11-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

A cleaver like that is pretty much used for what your Grandma used it for, cutting up bones, hacking through large pieces of meat, breaking down an animal, taking down trees. It's not the Japanese cleaver you would use to julienne diakon... Most restaurants have one certain knife that "no one knows how it got there, or really... how old it is." It's usually used as a door stop, table level, and scaring dishwashers on their first day.

As for the Garnishing knife, well, unless you want to turn potatoes for a couple hours, or make pretty little floral designes out of a lemon, most cooks use it to peel onions.

As for Chef Tony... probably beside Jamie Oliver.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
Cook

hehe, thanks brukky
Old 11-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #4
Senior Cook

A birdsbeak paring knife is for pealing rounded fruits and vegetables.