"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 10-26-2006, 10:04 AM   #51
Assistant Cook

Hastybake, there is no substitute.
hasty bake dot com.
Click image for larger version

Name:	featuresphoto.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	2096

Old 10-26-2006, 12:04 PM   #52
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
I have 3

1. Gas Grill - great for holding items, quick chicken breasts, veggies toasting bread.

2. Webber Kettle - main work horse. I use this for all my meats. I like the lump charcoal for steaks and quick cooks because it gets hotter and briquettes for longer slower cooks. Lump is very sensitive and can go out if you adjust it too low. It also burns alot quicker. Always use a chimmeny to start your coals and not fluid.

3. Large Brinkmann Verticle smoker with a side box. Great for long smokes. I can do up to 6 briskets at a time. Also great for pork butts and ribs.

A buddy of mine recently bought the new Webber Bullet and swears buy it for smoking. It does a good job but isn't big enough for me.

Even though this is WI they get used all year long.

JDP

Old 11-09-2006, 11:57 PM   #53
Assistant Cook

1st Post for me

Hey I just found this forim and I won't comment on the par-boiled ribs thread...... ......Anyway I have a Traeger smoker the built in version a Viking Tru-Sear( doesn't get used much) and Grillbbq.......which is on a trailer for camping and tailgating and a Weber Smokey Mountain.........I use the Traeger for just about everything and cook out side 3-4 nights a week year round.....
Old 11-10-2006, 02:10 AM   #54
Senior Cook

OK. firstly, welcome to discuss cooking.

Secondly, I too have a Treager, they are a great smoker or smokey grill. I use it for all my smoking as I have also added the cold smoker to it and it works.

I want to build a smoke house and a charcuterie room with all the necessary parts to make real sausage and cured meat, this isn't it but; in the mean time it will [ the Treager] allow a lot of good tasting playing.

Why would anyone parboil ribs. They might make OK stock but what else.

Now I know I just sounded like a Pompous *** but; this technique does not work unless your goal is to create stock. Slow smoking at 225 degrees is my prefered method and I think you will find it far better. Yes, it does take more time but it will produce a better product.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:09 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Old Easy Roast. The burners can be raised or lowerd by means of a switch. 1" spit can accomodate 3 turkeys or about a 100# piece of meat. It has 2 18k btu burners and 1 12k btu burner. Yes, I replaced the knobs.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:09 PM   #56
Senior Cook

Klose mobile offset
Traeger mobile
Klose fajita grill
2 Weber Rancher Kettles
3 Weber Smokey Mountain cookers
3 Primo Oval ceramic cookers
a Large Big Green Egg
there are 3 more grills but don't get used much
I competition cook and have a catering company specializing in BBQ
Jim
Old 01-22-2007, 01:13 AM   #57
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to Big Kahuna
Using a Big Green Egg, I have disposed of all other grills. Love the flexibility from smoking to 750 degree searing. Allegedly I make the best prime rib on the island, have done great turkeys and chickens, seared some superb steaks and Ahi tuna blocks and done just about anything a grill can do.

Most of the work does not require my presence since you "set it and forget it" not to be confused with another quite good grilling equipment (of the electric kind). The minimal use of good charcoal is simply amazing since a 20 pound bag lasts me several months even though we grill out several times a week. We can do that here in Hawaii, ha.

Corrosion is our enemy here in the tropics - there is nothing to corrode on the Big Green Egg. It will last a life time. The one my neighbor had was at least 40 years old; he just failed to move it when he came here.

Put that on your grill and smoke it.

Aloha, Big Kahuna
Old 03-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #58
Head Chef

The Big green Egg is the BOMB!!! I love my BGE. I work at a grill store and had my pick of grills ranging in price from $250.00- over $12,000 but the BGE was the only choice for my own grill. I can grill, smoke or bake in my Egg. The meat taste better then anything I had ever made in the past.
My name is Renee and... I am an Egghead.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #59
Senior Cook

We use a Weber Gas Grill which is 25 years old. It still makes wonderful food!
Old 03-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #60
Master Chef

Weber Kettle Grill - charcoal only for this gal!!!