"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Old 01-18-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Canning vegetables, etc.

I helped my grandmother can all sorts of vegetables and fruits. But this was so long ago I can't remember. Does any one know of a publication or website that has all the information I would need to start canning again?

dragonflystars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Blue Flame Kitchen has always answered all my questions. I know there is another canning reference in the US that most folks use. Ball something?

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
You may find this site very helpful!

National Center for Home Food Preservation
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Senior Cook
Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
canning veggies

Check out the old stndby book from the 60's Stocking Up for all kinds of ways to preserve and can. But are you sure you want to do veggies. Except for pickeled things and tomatoes, you have to make sure you pressure them because the acidity level is so low. Then when you open them, directions usually say to boil them without the lid for 15 or 20 min. Not much left nutritionwise, I'd say.
xmascarol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:34 AM   #5
Master Chef
The book that Alix was referring to is the Ball Blue Book of Preserving (2004)which has been superseded by the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving (2006). Another book I would suggest is the Complete Guide to Home Canning and Preserving - Second Revised Edition (1999) published by the U.S. Dept of Agriculture. You might also check out the book xmascarol1 suggested - but I would think about the newer one Stocking Up : The Third Edition of America's Classic Preserving Guide (1990) not the old 1960's edition ... we've learned a little more about preserving food in the past 50 years.

For a great website - IHMO you can't beat the one Uncle Bob pointed you to, the National Center for Home Food Preservation (Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture - constantly updated).

A lot of our grandmother's had to rely on canning to preserve fruits and vegetables - these days we have other options, like freezing. Have fun exploring your options!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote