"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
my_psychosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 161
German Queen tomatoes?

I planted some German Queen tomatoes and now they are everywhere, and HUGE. We have way to many to eat. So what I want to know is can I can and/or dry them? If so do I just follow the same methods as for regular tomatoes? Thank you.

__________________

__________________
“I went into a restaurant. The menu said, ‘Breakfast anytime.’ So I ordered French toast during the Renaissance.” Steven Wright
my_psychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Assistant Cook
 
ChefToddMohr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cary, N.C.
Posts: 44
This is a common problem. Most tomato plants put out more than the average person can eat before they spoil.

With an over-abundance of tomatoes, I'd start with Tomato Concassee. This is peeled and seeded tomatoes. Remove the core and make a small "X" on the opposite side of the tomato with your paring knife. Blanch the tomato in simmering water until the skin starts to draw back from the "X" you put in the end. Immediately remove the tomato and shock in cold ice water. The skin should just peel away. Then, cut along the equator of the tomato and remove the seeds with your thumb. The trick is cooking the tomato just long enough to loosen the skin, but not cook the flesh underneath. The riper the tomato, the more quickly this will happen.

Now, you can puree for tomato sauce, or coarsly chop for preservation.

You can home-can tomatoes safely because of the high acid content. Highly acidic ingredients inhibit bacterial growth, so they are perfect for a water-canner.

Get some of those two-part lid jars and a large stock pot of boiling water. A small round cake rack should go on the bottom of the pot so the jars don't contact heat directly from the bottom.

Fill your cleaned, sanitized jars with the chopped tomato, fill with tomato sauce to remove air space, place the two-part lid, and simmer in water for 20 minutes.

Let the jars cool, and a vacuum will occur within the jar. You'll hear the lids "pop" as air is sucked in.

Now, your beautiful tomatoes are ready for future use, or even as gifts.
__________________

__________________
ChefToddMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefToddMohr View Post
You can home-can tomatoes safely because of the high acid content. Highly acidic ingredients inhibit bacterial growth, so they are perfect for a water-canner.
That's not exactly true. Tomato varieties vary in acidity. Growing conditions, climate and location also affect acidity. Overripe tomatoes may be low enough in acid to support botulism. Also, tomatoes harvested from dead vines are low in acid and should be avoided in canning. (Eating fresh or freezing is OK.)

The “open-kettle” method is unsafe because undesirable organisms could grow and lower the acidity enough to allow production of botulism toxin.

I would seek professional and knowledgeable help on canning tomatoes if you are relatively new to it. Give your local County Extension Agent a call for some great information! Their service is free and they would be happy to advise you.
__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
Senior Cook
 
my_psychosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
That's not exactly true. Tomato varieties vary in acidity. Growing conditions, climate and location also affect acidity. Overripe tomatoes may be low enough in acid to support botulism. Also, tomatoes harvested from dead vines are low in acid and should be avoided in canning. (Eating fresh or freezing is OK.)

The “open-kettle” method is unsafe because undesirable organisms could grow and lower the acidity enough to allow production of botulism toxin.

I would seek professional and knowledgeable help on canning tomatoes if you are relatively new to it. Give your local County Extension Agent a call for some great information! Their service is free and they would be happy to advise you.
I've been canning for years actually. I just didnt know if I could can german queens. But thanks.
__________________
“I went into a restaurant. The menu said, ‘Breakfast anytime.’ So I ordered French toast during the Renaissance.” Steven Wright
my_psychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
sparrowgrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Highest point in Missouri
Posts: 1,794
And if you get totally overwhelmed with tomatoes, you can freeze them. No need to peel or blanch, just put them in bags and freeze. Take the stems off--they can make holes in the bags, but that is all the prep you need to do.

When you get ready to use them, you can take as many as you need out of the bag, run them under water to thaw a little bit, and the skin will slip right off. Chop or puree, and you are ready to cook. (The texture does change--they won't be good for salad.)
__________________
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Senior Cook
 
my_psychosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
And if you get totally overwhelmed with tomatoes, you can freeze them. No need to peel or blanch, just put them in bags and freeze. Take the stems off--they can make holes in the bags, but that is all the prep you need to do.

When you get ready to use them, you can take as many as you need out of the bag, run them under water to thaw a little bit, and the skin will slip right off. Chop or puree, and you are ready to cook. (The texture does change--they won't be good for salad.)
Thank you. I just might have to do this. I also have Romas, Celebritys, and Cherry tomatoes coming out my ears.
It's a good thing my man and I love tomatoes and tomato dishes.
__________________

__________________
“I went into a restaurant. The menu said, ‘Breakfast anytime.’ So I ordered French toast during the Renaissance.” Steven Wright
my_psychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.