Tomato Canning Worries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chloe48

Assistant Cook
I realize that I was supposed to put 1Tablespoon of Lemon juice per each pint of my canned tomatoes . But I realize now I only put 1 teaspoon of it in . 😟
Would they be safe for our family to eat ? I hot water bath canned them for 30 minutes about 3 days ago . ( so mad at myself ).
Thank you if you have advice for me .

According to the NCHFP, or the extension service it would not be safe to eat.
There are many people that will argue that we never used to add lemon or vinegar or citric acid to tomatoes for canning, and that is true. Tomatoes are now bred to be less acidic, which they are. Maybe yours were acidic enough, maybe not. I can't say. Try to see this dilemma as an opportunity to learn and it will remind you of what you want to do when canning tomatoes in the future.

So whether your tomatoes are safe or not, it is a decision you have to make for yourself, no one can make it for you.
Best wishes. I've made this mistake myself.

I don't mess around with canned goods if there was a mistake, dump them. Tomatoes are especially notorious for requiring careful processing.

According to the NCHFP, or the extension service it would not be safe to eat.
There are many people that will argue that we never used to add lemon or vinegar or citric acid to tomatoes for canning, and that is true. Tomatoes are now bred to be less acidic, which they are. Maybe yours were acidic enough, maybe not. I can't say. Try to see this dilemma as an opportunity to learn and it will remind you of what you want to do when canning tomatoes in the future.

So whether your tomatoes are safe or not, it is a decision you have to make for yourself, no one can make it for you.
Best wishes. I've made this mistake myself.
Thank you so much for your reply . i certainly would be ‘hugely‘ more sad if my people got extremely ill with botulism poisoning from eating my canned tomatoes . So I know what I have to do . 😥
I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one who has made this mistake .

I don't mess around with canned goods if there was a mistake, dump them. Tomatoes are especially notorious for requiring careful processing.
Thank you so much for your reply . I’m definitely Sadder but wiser …..& yes I will follow your advice . Can’t imagine being worried every time we ate some .

I have done another very dumb thing with making tomato salsa . I used a recipe from a neighbor …which was not tested for acidic safety levels by anyone . WhenI see all the low acid other things that went in it & the amount of vinegar , am thinking it’s PH is too high for safe water bath canning likely .
I just made it last nite & after doing research this morning I have thrown it in the freezer now .
In your opinion , as it was frozen in less than 24 hours n counter , do you think this will be able to be saved ?

I have done another very dumb thing with making tomato salsa . I used a recipe from a neighbor …which was not tested for acidic safety levels by anyone . WhenI see all the low acid other things that went in it & the amount of vinegar , am thinking it’s PH is too high for safe water bath canning likely .
I just made it last nite & after doing research this morning I have thrown it in the freezer now .
In your opinion , as it was frozen in less than 24 hours n counter , do you think this will be able to be saved ?
Many years ago, my dear old dad thought he got a "bonus" in his can of tomato juice! It caused one of his very few visits of his life to a hospital for a few days!
Hope your dad recovered without any long term after effects . I should have done my own research rather than take directions from someone who didn’t worry about tomato canning safety .

Hope your dad recovered without any long term after effects . I should have done my own research rather than take directions from someone who didn’t worry about tomato canning safety .
Ooops , sorry for my double post. Not sure how that happened , Not too techie I'm afraid .

Another thing that you can't depend on, as far as the acidity, is lemon juice. Often you are told 1 tb is the same as a tsp of citric acid, but lemons vary, as tomatoes do.
Oh, oh … another oops with my canned tomatoes disaster . Not only did I use only 1 teaspoon per pint , it was squeezed lemon juice too. . Dumped them yesterday …. was that ever painful experience . Thank you … for that info too .

Thanks for your reply . I think I’ll stick with bottled lemon juice too 🙂👍
Again, go with your taste buds. I can taste the additives in most bottled lemon juice. I find the organic stuff from California okay, but it tastes cooked. The only bottled lemon or lime juice that I like, is some organic stuff from Italy. Unfortunately, the health food store where I used to buy it has become a supplements store and doesn't seem to carry food anymore.

Thank you ! I will check out a market store in the city that brings in lots of European products .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom