"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 03-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Head Chef

Is a separate Canning Kitchen a good idea?

I was thinking that since I have room in my basement garage, and all of the items necessary to make this project, it might be a good idea.

I have an extra stove [gas Chambers], extra refrigerator, a dishwasher, a vintage wall hung kitchen sink, a couple of chest freezers, and a upright freezer, and a couple of cabinets.

The only expense I would have would be installing the sink & the old dishwasher, putting in a gas line, and putting up L bracket shelving. There is a laundry room with a furnace where we could connect the plumbing and gas lines next to the garage.

If I do this I can keep all of the space stealing food preservation equipment out of the upstairs kitchen. I would be taking advantage of the natural coolness of the basement in sweltering canning season and not heat up the whole upstairs.

There would still be room in the garage to park my compact car and another vehicle.

Do you think a canning kitchen would be worth the effort and expenditure?

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Master Chef

If you can a lot, if you can afford it, go for it. I know I would love to have one. Wait that would make 4 kitchens in my house, ah forget about it. But you should definetely go for it.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

There was actually another thread about this quite a while ago. You might be able to find it through a search. I remember there were a lot of opinions on both sides of the issue.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Head Chef

Oh, yes!! I once had a house with a separate kitchen in the basement, and it was great. Not only for canning season, but also for big holiday dinners!!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Head Chef

Well alright!

It may take about a year to save up cause I have more important projects I have to complete first, but I will install my canning Kitchen!

It won't be "pretty" but it will be fully functional when I am through.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
Old 03-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Here is a link to a thread from about a year ago on building a new canning kitchen. Although your situation is a little different, it might be worth reading for some ideas that could work for you.

Designing a Seasonal Canning Kitchen
Old 03-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
Head Chef

I just read that thread! Man, she sure went to a lot of trouble and expense for her canning kitchen.

Mine will be a rustic little thing in comparison, with unfinished basement walls and scavenged stuff like old metal rolling carts instead of cabinetry. With my open shelves, it will look like what it will be --- a poverty version of a canning kitchen.

I still think I can make my kitchen function as well as hers does though, but beautiful it won't be!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
I just read that thread! Man, she sure went to a lot of trouble and expense for her canning kitchen.

Mine will be a rustic little thing in comparison, with unfinished basement walls and scavenged stuff like old metal rolling carts instead of cabinetry. With my open shelves, it will look like what it will be --- a poverty version of a canning kitchen.

I still think I can make my kitchen function as well as hers does though, but beautiful it won't be!
I think it is a great idea for you to pursue a canning kitchen.

And it was a "he" in the above thread, a man to whom money was no object. Although he did not make it clear on this forum, he had never canned a jar in his life. One big difference from his circumstances and yours..
Old 03-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
Head Chef

Thank you Beth! I guess I was too overwhelmed by all the expensive doo dads to notice she was a he!

The real reason I want a separate canning kitchen is that:

my kitchen is small and can't be enlarged without me winning the lottery
this will give me the space I need for all of my food preservation gadgets
food preservation won't get in the way of regular cooking
it will keep the kitchen and house cooler
with the basement's concrete floor and floor drain, cleanup will be a breeze
Old 03-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Back in the old days, before air conditioning, farm houses had a summer kitchen. When I started canning, I used to can at night because the house was slightly cooler (and I was alone at the time so I had to finish work, pick, and then can). Now we have a summer kitchen. It is a separate building (not a room off the house). We have a "dry sink" that we run the hose to, a stove (and oven), freezer, fridge, and counterspace. I keep the canning stuff in the cupboard under the stairs...or in the summer kitchen.

Having an "outside kitchen" keeps a lot of condensation out of the house. Not to mention, we can heat water on the stove out there and do all the canning dishes out there.

If you have the space and the money, I'd go for it. There may be some building code/zoning issues about a "kitchen" in your basement. In some places, that qualifies as an illegal apartment.

I've read about people having two kitchens--one called a spice kitchen where all the "smelly" stuff is cooked, and the regular kitchen. It might get complicated selling if the buyer isn't into cooking!

Tags
kitchen