Lotsa cucumbers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shannon in KS

Cooking Links Contest Winner
So we are making lots of pickles, but we can really only make so many! Any other preserving recipes for cucumbers besides the typical pickle? :chef:

Lets see.. dill pickles, sweet pickles, bread and butter pickles, half sour pickles, pickles and onions--sweet or dill, Pickle relish, Garlic dills, crystal pickles.. that's all that come to mind..

Cucumbers in Sour Cream

1 Cucumber
1 tsp Salt
1/2 C Sour Cream
4 tsp Vinegar, Red Wine
1-2 Drops Tabasco Sauce
2 Tb Chives - Snipped
1/2 tsp Dried Dill Weed
Black Pepper

Slice the cucumber into very thin slices. Sprinkle with the salt and let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature to release excess water from the cucumbers. Drain.

Combine the remaining ingredients and toss with the cucumbers.

Chill for 30 minutes.

Thai Pickled Cucumbers

1 Ea Seedless Cucumber
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1/2C Rice Vinegar
3 1/2 Tb Sugar (4 packets of Equal)
2 Ea Shallots, sliced thin
1-2 Jalapeno Pepper, minced
1 Tb Fish Sauce

Slice the cucumber thinly and toss with the salt. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. (Peeling the cuke is optional)

Separately combine the vinegar, sugar, shallots and jalapeno.

Drain the cucumber and pat dry with paper towels and toss with the vinegar mixture. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Lets see.. dill pickles, sweet pickles, bread and butter pickles, half sour pickles, pickles and onions--sweet or dill, Pickle relish, Garlic dills, crystal pickles.. that's all that come to mind..

lol exactly! I would like to preserve them somehow other than pickles lol! I have seen cucumber salsa recipes, but that is fresh... wonder if you could hot water bath it?

lol exactly! I would like to preserve them somehow other than pickles lol! I have seen cucumber salsa recipes, but that is fresh... wonder if you could hot water bath it?

The problem with canning salsa's is making sure there is enough acid to prevent botulism poisoning. If it has a vinegar component you are probably OK. The acid from Tomatoes generally is not enough to ensure enough acid content.

You may be able to pack the cucumbers in pure water and freeze. On their own they don't freeze well, but isolated in water it might work. You could try a couple in a ziplock with water and see.

You could make up some Cucumber soup and freeze that.

Cucumbers in Sour Cream

1 Cucumber
1 tsp Salt
1/2 C Sour Cream
4 tsp Vinegar, Red Wine
1-2 Drops Tabasco Sauce
2 Tb Chives - Snipped
1/2 tsp Dried Dill Weed
Black Pepper

Slice the cucumber into very thin slices. Sprinkle with the salt and let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature to release excess water from the cucumbers. Drain.

Combine the remaining ingredients and toss with the cucumbers.

Chill for 30 minutes.

Andy - Thanks for this one. I am planning on making a stop at the grocery just to get me a cucumber for this.

The other stuff I already have.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom