Pickle question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found a very interesting recipe for a sweet-and-hot curried pickle. It didn't give a processing time, so obviously it's not suitable for canning.

Does anybody have a recipe for this type of pickle? I only found one recipe for it, and it sounds gross. The bulk of the flavoring comes from mustard, which I don't like to begin with. Just to clarify.......yeah I've never canned before. However I'm capable of adding seasonings to food and have a pretty good idea of what foods have an affinity for each other.

Slightly off topic, but if possible does anybody have a recipe for a dill pickle relish? One that isn't overly sweet? I found a recipe for sweet and tangy dill pickle relish, so if somebody could provide a recipe for dill pickle relish similar to that description (sweet and tangy) I'd appreciate it. If you can't it's not a big deal.

Last edited:
Here's a quick easy recipe:

Quick Dill Pickle Relish

1 cup dill pickles -- diced
1/4 cup hot mustard -- (or sweet mustard)
1 tablespoon pickle juice
1 tablespoon fresh dill -- chopped

Combine all ingredients, stir.
Serve with hot dogs or hamburgers. Enjoy!

I am really not trying to be rude, but when I referred to a pickle recipe, I meant that I would like a pickle recipe for canning. By canning I mean that it has a processing time in a boiling water bath. I apologize as I'm partially at fault. I didn't specify that I wanted a pickle recipe for canning; I should have been more specific in my description of the type of pickle recipe I was looking for. Your pickle recipe sounds great, but is there any way that I can use it for canning? If it's not feasible to convert the recipe you provided to canning, could you please provide a similar recipe for a pickle that's for canning?

Again, I'm not trying to be rude as it's not intentional; if I come off that way then my sincerest apologies.
Thank you for posting the link to your recipe.

I was not able to find a proper canning recipe for the curried pickles you were seeking, but if you really want it for canning, I have a suggestion. Canning recipes are tested at many local universities and you can submit your recipe for evaluation and correction of the canning instructions. All the easier if you have such a university nearby that has a food preservation department. Here is a general reference:
National Center for Home Food Preservation

There are a lot of old recipes out there that are not up to date with proper and safe canning techniques, especially ones that used a method called "open kettle" processing which just cooked and sealed the food (no Boiling Water Bath processing to kill bacteria). These recipes should not be used as a "canning" recipe, but should instead be maintained in the refrigerator only unless a canning authority can properly evaluate and test the recipe for stability in the canning process.

Mustard seeds are a common ingredient in pickling spices - and no, they don't make your pickle taste like mustard. If you go to Google and type in "sweet-and-hot curried pickle" you get several recipes - one of which has canning instructions (scroll down to the recipe for Curried East Indian Pickles). There may be more than this one with "canning" instructions - I didn't check them all.

As McNerd said - spend a little time reading up on canning at the National Center for Home Food Preservation if you don't want to buy the Ball Blue Book of Preserving or the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.

I found a very interesting recipe for a sweet-and-hot curried pickle. It didn't give a processing time, so obviously it's not suitable for canning.

Does anybody have a recipe for this type of pickle? I only found one recipe for it, and it sounds gross. The bulk of the flavoring comes from mustard, which I don't like to begin with. Just to clarify.......yeah I've never canned before. However I'm capable of adding seasonings to food and have a pretty good idea of what foods have an affinity for each other.

Slightly off topic, but if possible does anybody have a recipe for a dill pickle relish? One that isn't overly sweet? I found a recipe for sweet and tangy dill pickle relish, so if somebody could provide a recipe for dill pickle relish similar to that description (sweet and tangy) I'd appreciate it. If you can't it's not a big deal.

Making a pickle is a very different method of preservation from canning. They are 2 different and discrete methods of preservation which require different modes of preparation for the ingredients. A sweet-hot pickle sounds more akin to a chutney or a hot vinegar pickling solution added to ingredients than canning, which one might use for a glut of vegetables of fruit. I make my own piccalli and chutneys etc. A bit more information in terms of what you are trying to do would help to elicit more responses .

Regards,
Archiduc

Making a pickle is a very different method of preservation from canning. They are 2 different and discrete methods of preservation which require different modes of preparation for the ingredients.
Okay, I'll bite (the pickle). What are the two different and discrete methods of preservation of pickles that are not canning?

We use a bread and butter pickle recipe and substitute hot peppers for the green peppers it calls for. We usually use hot Hungarian wax peppers which give a subtle heat. You can experiment to determine how hot you want it.

Here is a good bread and butter pickle recipe that is similar to the one I use:

"http://southernfood.about.com/od/picklesrelishes/r/bl50727a.htm"

Okay, I'll bite (the pickle). What are the two different and discrete methods of preservation of pickles that are not canning?

Hi Mcnerd,
There appears to be some confusion here. IIRC correctly, I wrote that canning and pickling are two different and discrete methods of preservation. In other words, canning is one process and pickling is another method.

Unfortunately, I cannot access my reply to your e-mail whilst typing this reply so, please bear with me. Canning is a heat process which may involve special equipment (cans) and machinery to seal the cans and heat treatment (sterilisation) to prevent the growth of micro-organisms. typical items include those canned in syrup, solid pack, brined (tomatoes) or solid pack tomatoes.

A "pickle" is not an item requiring heat treatment to sterilise the product. Several types of pickle exist such as:
1. Spiced fruit which is cooked in a spiced sugar and vinegar solution -fruit packed in clean sterilised jars, covered with hot pickling syrup and sealed without any further treatment.
2. Piccalli - brined vegetables, washed and cooked lightly in a sauce, packed and sealed.
3. Red cabbage - brined, rinsed, packed into jars, covered with a cold spiced vinegar and sealed.

Thus, canning and pickling are two discrete (or different) methods of preservation.

Hope this is clear,
Archiduc

There appears to be some confusion here. IIRC correctly, I wrote that canning and pickling are two different and discrete methods of preservation. In other words, canning is one process and pickling is another method.
I agree, but I think the confusion is on your side. You may want to do some Google searches about "home canning" and "canning pickles". It's not what you are stating.

Canning is a heat process which may involve special equipment (cans) and machinery to seal the cans and heat treatment (sterilisation) to prevent the growth of micro-organisms. typical items include those canned in syrup, solid pack, brined (tomatoes) or solid pack tomatoes.
Yes if you are a commercial big business. Try thinking about "home" canning. Same process but uses glass canning jars and 2-piece lids.

A "pickle" is not an item requiring heat treatment to sterilise the product.
Sadly that belief could put you in the hospital. Sterilization can ONLY be done by a boiling water bath [212 degrees F.] for acidic foods, or pressure canner (to 245 degrees F.) for non-acidic foods. If neither of these processes are used, the food MUST be refrigerated or frozen only....pickles included. Claussen pickles are a good example, which must be refrigerated because they are not cooked and canned.

The pickle methods you referenced are out-dated and dangerous methods. Cabbage, if it is done properly brined to make sauerkraut, creates its own fermentation environment at room temperature. If done wrong, however, it will become a breeding ground of nasty stuff. Any other type of recipe must follow the standard recipe guidelines and restrictions of refrigeration or "canned."

Hope this is clear
Very clear and I thank you. Now I hope you will take the time to learn the current, correct, and safe information put out by the various universities and food preservation agencies.

Back
Top Bottom