Too Much Dip, Salmon, Rice Salad!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HiCotton

Assistant Cook
As usual, I made wa-a-ay too much of everything for a party a few days ago. Normally, this isn't a problem because we eat a lot of it up as leftovers and freeze the rest.

This time, tho, I made two dips and ended up with a ton of both. One is a garlic/feta/cream cheese/maybe a little sour cream (don't remember) and the other is a spinach/sour cream/cream cheese mix.

Is there ANY way I can successfully freeze these? Everyone in my house is gagging at the thought of one more bite of either one. :sick:

Second question: I also have a ton of a curried rice/bean/diced veggie/mayo/yogurt salad. Can this be frozen successfully?

Third question: I defrosted too much smoked salmon and have a whole unopened package in the fridge. Can I refreeze this without it turning to dust?

I'm obviously somewhat -- uhm -- lacking as a party planner ....:cry:

Many thanks for any help.
Jane

The Salmon must be COOKED before it can be frozen again. The dairy product stuff may be a problem freezing since it may separate and change texture. Stuff in a "mixture" may fair better than others. You can always experiment by freezing it to see what happens. You/We may be surprised. You are going to have to toss it anyway.

Of course there are always friends and neighbors.....

Thanks mcnerd:

The salmon is smoked. Do you mean I should cook that??

Friends and neighbors have had their fill, too, so I will experiment with the freezing. Was hoping someone had a magic technique for protecting the texture but guess I will just take my chances.

Thanks!
Jane

Maybe you can make a pasta dish using the spinach dip? Sounds like ingredients you may find in a fettucini type dinner maybe add some grill chicken or even stuff the spinach mixture into the chicken breast and add a little sun dried tomatoes then bake it.....

The salmon is smoked. Do you mean I should cook that??
If it is still sealed in its individual packaging, it would be safe to refreeze since it has not been exposed to the air and they say it will not suffer any ill effects to the texture. Food that has been exposed to the air (and bacteria) must be cooked before it can be refrozen. I have no experience specifically about dealing with smoked salmon once the package has been opened.

Hi Cotton, welcome to DC! It sounds like you gave a really nice party with lots of scrumptious food. I have a friend who retired in Panama - how long have you lived there? Hope you enjoy all these nice people here at DC. Stick around!

Hi Karen:

Thanks for the greeting and welcome. We've been in the Springlike mountains of Panama for about 3 years. Very different from our hectic life in DC (as in Washington, DC). We live in a little town that probably has more restaurants than residents -- Panamanian, French, Italian, Continental, Mexican, American, Chinese, Peruvian, Lebanese, German -- so we are well fed. Of course, Panama City now has a world-class cuisine -- but we are on the other side of the country. Hope your friend in Panama is within an arm's reach of some interesting food.

And you -- how is your Mexican experience?

I do appreciate all the help at DC. I only cook when I give a party and I'll probably only post when I get into trouble (often) but I do enjoy reading the blog.

Take care,
Jane

Last edited:
Cotton - the salmon should be just fine (both flavor and texture) if you want to refreeze it since you have stated that it has not been opened.

The dips should also freeze well. If they are served hot/warm - you probably want to reheat them in a double boiler and heat them gently and stir almost constantly to keep the sour cream from breaking. If served cold - and if there is any moisure on the surface of the dip, you can pour the water off or simply just stir the dip to recombine the liquid.

The salad is going to be your problem. The mayo and yogurt are likely candidates for breaking/getting watery - but like the dips just pour off the water (if you want) and/or just stir everything back together. If the vegetables were raw - they will get "mushy" compared to when it was fresh, and can contribute to the salad getting "watery".

You've got nothing to lose ... give it a try and see how it goes!

Hi Michael:

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and refroze the salmon. It's fine. Thank goodness as there was a lot of it!

I will try freezing the rest of the items and see what happens. More optimistic with your post!!

Thanks again,
Jane

Back
Top Bottom