What are these white lumps in my strawberry jam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbbyJones

Assistant Cook
Hello all,I have just made my second ever batch of strawberry jam and it has white pieces in it, can someone please tell me what they are? I used 1kg strawberries washed dried and stalks removed, 750g sugar (half golden granulated sugar and half white granulated) and a tablespoon of lemon juice. The pieces portions of a skin of some kind, very odd and not very appetising.

Just a guess, but it may be the rind that's showing up as white? I have some old stored in the fridge factory made marmalade that all of a sudden has a lot of white specks in it. I think I need to buy new marmalade.

Last edited:
Were some of the strawberries not quite ripe? Sometimes underripe berries have white sections.

Maybe its the foam then, I skimmed off what i could and added a bit of butter tho. It can't be rind cos used strawberries and they were all nice and ripe. If i squash the white lumps they disappear, does that sound like foam? If so what can i do to get rid of it, maybe boil it all up again and try to skim off all the foam?

Attachments

• DSC_0125.jpg
    DSC_0125.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 773
  • DSC_0126.jpg
    DSC_0126.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 430
You would think so. I've never used butter in my jam though.

Maybe your best course would be to recook the jam and reskim.

Last edited:
Ok thanks everyone for your help :) I only used the butter as in the recipe I was using it said to use a little butter to dissolve any scum that got left behind after skimming. If I re cook to try and dissolve it do I need to bring back to 105c? I found it quite difficult to skim the foam with a spoon, Is there a better way to do it?

Last edited:
Well I ruined it :( Must have overboiled as I now have 2 jars instead of 4, it's a horrible brownish colour and it's almost solid!!

I'm looking at the photos you posted on the first page and all I see that look white are strawberry seeds.

It could also just be blobs of pectin that weren't stirred in completely.

I didn't use Pectin and they were big blobs, hard to photograph but definitely visible in both photos. I'm pretty sure it was the foam that I hadn't skimmed off properly...Ah well, I know for next time.

Back
Top Bottom