Why Tumeric in Pickles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I'm not mistaken, it is mostly to colour your pickles. Are you making mustard pickles?

pickles

Alix said:
If I'm not mistaken, it is mostly to colour your pickles. Are you making mustard pickles?
No I am trying to make just a simple little pickle that does not require canning, but only refrigeration. Thanks for the info

If you like Bread & Butter pickles, here's a recipe for you - just store them in the frig. Don't have any idea how long the keep, they disappear too quickly!! :rolleyes:

Bread & Butter Pickles

2 cups light brown sugar
2 cups cider vinegar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
10 whole cloves
10 allspice berries
1 3/4 pounds Kirby cucumbers -- sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick (about 6 cups) or whatever kind you prefer
2 medium yellow onions -- thinly sliced

DIRECTIONS
1. In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard seeds, turmeric, cloves and allspice and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt.

Add the cucumbers and onions and simmer over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until the cucumbers darken, about 5 minutes.

Remove from the heat. Let cool, then refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.

MAKES ABOUT 6 CUPS

Turmeric..Flavor musky,peppery.Use to color foods yellow, especially Indian curries and bean dishes. Use sparingly as an alternative to saffron. From the cooking club Cooking essentials book.

Turmeric is a rhizome, related to ginger. In Indian food it is used for colour, for it's antiseptic properties and for its earthy flavour. (It is also used to dye the robes used by Bhuddist monks).

In pickle recipes, it helps to maintain a greenish-yellow colour - otherwise the pickles would go brownish.

Back
Top Bottom