Grilling a 'Simmering Steak"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luke72w

Assistant Cook
I found a package of steak that says 'simmering steak' can I just grill that like any other steak and eat it?

Sorry, I've never heard the term 'simmering steak' here in the UK. Normally, simmering is a method of cooking meat and/or vegetables in a sauce or gravy for a long, slow time - ie a casserole or stew.

I did a quick google search and found it referred to as blade simmering steak. Blade steak is a cut from the shoulder or chuck area.

It can be a little on the tough side for grilling. You could tenderize it and try grilling it.

Thanks for looking that one up Andy! I had never seen or heard the term "simmering steak" until today when I ran across it in a recipe - but looking at the recipe and cooking time I figured it would be something tough like a chuck steak since it had to "simmer" in beef stock and wine for 1-2 hours until tender.

How about a Steak Pizzaiola, Luke? It's an easy and delicous way to cook an "economical" cut. You can use the easy oven method, like this, or you can look up any of the million other pizzaiola recipes, many of which slice the steak first and simmer it in the sauce on top of the stove.

I top with shredded cheese the last 5 minutes in the oven, and serve with pasta or rice. LOVE it!

Lee

Chuck Steak Pizzaiola
---------------------
1 beef chuck steak, cut 1 inch thick, 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
1 small onion, chopped
1 14 oz can Italian peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
2 garlic cloves, chopped
pinch of hot pepper flakes
2 Tbsp olive oil

Preheat oven to 350F. Place steak in a shallow glass baking dish with
plenty of space around the meat. In a bowl, combine all other ingredients.
Spread over top of steak. Bake steak uncovered 45 minutes to 1 hour, or
until tender. Slice steak and serve with sauce from pan.

From _365 Easy Italian Recipes_ by Rick Marzullo O'Connell

By simmering steak, I think they are talking about one that needs to be braised in liquid to make it tender.

How about making Swiss Steak? That's a good old family favorite.

Salt & pepper your steak and put in a sprayed baking pan. Slice potatoes in wedges and put around meat along with baby carrots and sliced onions. Sprinkle a couple tbls flour over the top, then pour a small can of tomato sauce over the top. Cover with foil and cook in 350 oven for about an hour.
You'll be able to cut it with a fork.

Constance; That's how my Mom made Swiss Steak. Well, it's quite similar anyway. But I've also had Swiss Steak made in a beef gravy with onions. I wonder which one is correct, or if it's one of those dishes that have a thousand variations, few of which resemble the original recipe, like goulash. It would be interesting to find out. I think I'm going to do a bit of research. My curiosity is now officially piqued.

Seeeeeya When I'm Done; Goodweed of the North:mrgreen:

I'd make country fried steak with gravy out of it.

Roll your steak in seasoned flour, fry in grease. Take it out, add the leftover seasoned flour to the drippings, add some water or milk and make gravy. Put the steak back in the gravy and let it simmer until the meat is tender. Serve with some homemade lumpy mashed potatoes. Yum Yum !!!!:) :) :)

When you "simmer a steak" you are killing it.
Simmering means you have a tough piece of meat and you want to simmer it to make it tender.
Enough said.

You're right Pete - a "simmering steak" is tough and full of connective tissue which needs low-n-slow braising to allow the connective tissue to "melt". A cooking method you would never want to employ a tender cut of beef - like a prime cut of rib steak, or a good t-bone, or porter house.

You'll possibly never run across anyone that loves a good "chicken-fried-steak" more than me, Barbarainnc. But, it's a little more complicated than just dredging a tough cut of hunk-o-cow in flour and frying it. The meat needs to be cut about 1/4 inch thick and beaten to death to break up the connective tissues - this is when you turn your meat pounder over and use the side wilth all the little pyramids on it and beat it silly - or buy it already "cubed" from the butcher. The butcher runs it through a "cuber" which has little blades that cut through the meat, and while not making the meat any more tender during short cooking, cuts the strands of connective tissue and make them "appear" to be more tender.

For those curious about the difference between "tenderized" and "cubed" steak - a tenderized steak is run though the blades in one direction (sometimes flipped over and run through again on the other side in the same direction - depends on the butcher and the cut of meat) - to "cube" it, the meat is then turned 90-degrees and run through again - so the the blades cut a somewhat "cube" pattern.

Back
Top Bottom