How do you fry cubed steak so it will not be tough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi.
think.gif

You can add A picture by reading this; http://discusscooking.com/viewtopic.php?t=990&start=0&sid=6e2ff5c2cdf9452a58e656d73116f72f
For A tender steak, I always marinade my steak in A food vac canister.

Betty: I have never had good luck with cube steak so I just smother it with gravy!!! I am looking for any replies on the topic because I haven't had cube steak in probably 4-5 years. I love it with rice and LOTS of gravy!!! As for the Avatars, I am glad that MJ forwarded the link to you because I was going to be typing up the process and would probably have totally confused you. Thanks, MJ!!!

Your welcome Ray!
thk.gif
I have never did this, but I bet if you "brine" cubed steak in A saltwater solution overnight, it would come out very juicy and tender after you fry it.
A couple of days ago I brined some thick cut pork (loin?) chops in A saltwater solution. You could cut it with A spoon! My friend tryed this and her eyes got real big. OMG she said.
The trick to A good turkey is to brine it also. Brine it and smoke it. My mouth is watering...

If you bake cubed steak in the oven for 2-3 hours @ 300*, covered with gravy in a pan, I am willing to bet this would work also.
Thats how I cooked my thick cut pork chops after I (i) brined them (without gravy).

Betty,

Marinade the steak for at least 8-24 hours for tenderness. Then you can cook it any way you like.

Dina

Aren't any of you from the south??? Just beat the hell out of it with a hammer (a tenderizer), flip it and beat it more. you just have to break the fiber, no need to marinade it. Flour it, dip it, flour again and fry it.

Storm2k,

I'm from the south (Texas)! Just that you can't beat cubed steak any more before it becomes CHOPPED LIVER. :LOL: Cubed steak has already been pounded with a mallet.

Dina

I've have success just sauteeing (sp?) the cubed steak in a pan smothered with sliced bell peppers and onions on low heat. Plus some sort of seasonings, usually Italian blends. The veggies and the juices make a great gravy when reduced.

I do this with pork cube steaks too.

When we have cubed steak, I fry it a few hours in advance & the put it in the crock pot on low heat. When it's time to eat, it comes out tender. If I don't have time to do that, I fry it & cut each piece into bite sized pieces & put it back in the pan with gravy & let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Hubby prefers it that way because that's how him mom does it. I have heard that marinating it in milk helps tenderize it but I have never done that.

middie said:
my sister boils hers in water with a bunch of seasonings first.
good idea!will try that the next time i wanna have steak at home!:)

this is one that has stumped me too. whenever i make cube steaks, they are tough, but dw makes them tender every time. i watched her last time, and i noticed that she just pan fried them on medium heat in butter. after cooking on each side for just a minute or so, she covers the pan and turns the heat off. they are so thin that they finish just from the residual heat.

i like mine with cheese melted on top, on a portugese roll with ketchup, roasted garlic butter, and raw onions.

Chicken Fried Steak

It's a southern favorite. Here are are a couple of recipes.

COUNTRY FRIED STEAK

1 lb Round steak
1/2 c Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
2 tbl Bacon grease or canola oil
2 tbl Flour
2 c Milk

Trim visible fat from meat and cut into 4 equal serving pieces.Pound steak with a mallet to tenderize it. Mixflour, salt,and pepper in a shallow, wide bowl and dredge each piece of meat in it,coating well on both sides.Heat grease or oil until hot but not smoking in a heavy,wide skillet with a lid. Brown the meat pieces on both sides, turn heat down a bit, cover and let steak fry like chicken for 15 to 20 minutes, until done. Remove cover and let steak crisp for about 5 minutes.Take steak from the pan and drain.
Leave about 2 tables.of drippings and all the browned flecks of crust in the pan.Turn the heat a bit lower,sprinkle flour into the drippings and stir to keep from lumping while it browns. Slowly add milk,stirring.Let it cook until thick,about 3 to 5 minutes.Taste and add seasoning, if needed. Serve gravy on the side.
Makes 4 servings.
Serve with mashed potatoes, vegie of choice, and Texas toast or dinner rolls.

*Note: I prefer the above method, but this next recipe calls for a marinade which I may try next time.*

Country Fried Chicken Steak with Cream Gravy

Yield: 8 servings

3 lb Sirloin Tip Roast; *
1 x Vegetable Oil; For Deep Fry
1 ts Salt; To Taste
2 tb Unbleached Flour
1 tb White Vinegar; Distilled
1 c Milk
3 c Unbleached Flour
1/4 ts Salt
2 tb Pepper; Freshly Ground
1 x Parsley Sprigs

Cut the meat into 1/2-inch thick slices. Pound the meat with a spiked meat mallet to tenderize. Cut each slice crosswise into 3 pieces. Place in a large bowl. Cover with water and add the salt and vinegar. Marinate for 2 hours. Combine the flour and pepper in a plastic bag and add the meat, (do not pat dry) 1 piece at a time, shaking to coat thoroughly. Heat the oil in the deep fryer or deep large
skillet, over medium heat, to 350 degrees. Add the meat in batches (do not crowd) and fry until light brown, about 30 seconds per side. Drain the meat on paper towels and place it on a heated platter that has been tented with foil.
For the gravy, pour off all but 2 Tbls of the oil in the skillet, leaving the browned bits. Heat over medium heat and add the flour, stirring and scraping up all of the browned bits for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the milk. Stir in the salt and continue to whisk until thickened, about 1 minute. Serve over the steaks and garnish with parsley just before serving.

here's a method they use in chinese resturants. you can take baking soda yea baking soda and rub it on the steak cubes and then wash it off the steak cubes.

another method is using corn startch and coating the steak cubes lightly and frying the steaks with that

Best way to go is pound your own round steaks thin, then fry in hot skillet not very long, if you overcook, then it becomes even tougher. Then smother w/ gravy made in the same skillet w/ potatoes, biscuits & eggs.

B.

Back
Top Bottom