Favorite Sunday dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any sunday spent with all the kids and grandkids:LOL: They have lots of favorties, pork schnitzel, chicken marsala or piccata, homemade ravioli and sauce, pannini sammies, ribs and pesto..My gang loves to eat:LOL:

kadesma

Sunday is Roast day. Pork, Beef, Lamb, Chicken, with various roasted vegetables, stuffings, sides of whipped potatoes or squash, fresh greens sauteed etc. Many meals during the week are then spinoffs from the Sunday roast...stews, pies, soups, hashes, etc.

Such was our family tradition. Harder to keep to without the family all at home. But we do try when we are together.

Rainy Sunday

It is going to be rainy this Sunday I might go for slow simmered
chili, or maybe a brisket in the crock pot. Normally we will smoke
a brisket but if it is rainy probably won't want to be outside to
much.

When I was growing up, Sunday was roast day for us, too. Mom would put either a beef or pork roast on before we went to church, then add the vegetables, cook a side dish, and make the gravy after we got home. We always had a dessert, too...usually a homemade apple or cherry pie. The next day, mom would make stew out of leftover vegies, gravy, and some of the meat, and use the rest for meat spread, which my dad loved to take in his bucket. Occasionally she varied that by serving a baked ham and twice baked potatoes.
Nowadays, our Sunday dinner is an evening meal, cooked on the grill when weather permits.

Last edited:
I grew up on a farm and Sunday dinner was the BIG meal of the week, served right after church. I still can almost taste the wonderful cooking my grandma would do.

I still like to make a nice, big dinner every Sunday. In the winter months, I'll make a roast or stew, homemade bread and an apple pie for dessert. In the summer, I like to make fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, brownies or a big Italian meal. Occassionally, I roast a small leg of lamb over potato wedges with lots of garlic, rosemary, lemons and olive oil. The smell of that is just too good.

Sunday dinner was only "Sunday Dinner" back in my parents' days. It always meant a roast pork, or roast beef, or some Czech chicken dish, etc., etc.

Was always served around 2 p.m., which, of course, went awry once we kids were old enough to have activities that made having a big meal in the middle of the day unwieldy.

I miss those good old days now.

sunday i make my sunday sauce. A wonderful tomato sauce with beef, pork, wine, porcini mushroom broth, fresh and dried herbs, parmagiano reggiano, served on some angelhair or some spaghetini

can't choose either, rickell. Nowadays Sunday is the only day I have the time to cook leisurely, so I like recipes that I can fiddle with all day long.

We always had big Sunday dinners when I was growing up and always had company with us. I continued that when my kids were home. DH plays golf every Sunday afternoon so I don't make anything most Sundays. Sometimes we have breakfast when we get home from church and sometimes we pick up a sandwich, but he leaves as soon as he eats so no need to make a meal unless someone else is here. I really miss those days.

Sunday was always roast day.

And my favorite was a fresh pork roast.

It is a ham that has not been cured.

Don't find it in the meat department anymore, but the butcher there can always get us one.

It has a flavor that is far different than the loin.

Just do not overcook it.

Would rather have a fresh ham than a loin any day.

Always make a big sunday dinner.Fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravey,veggie,rolls,some kind of salad and an assortment of pickles,sometimes bread dressing or a wild rice hot dish and usually make a pie or other desert. If not chicken, I'll make a beef roast or a pork roast or chops, meat loaf, meat balls with mashed potatoes and gravey.Now with summer on the way we will grill out alot, but still a big Sunday dinner.Love to cook Sunday meals.

Good Ole' Sunday comfort food for me is Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, White Gravy, Green Beans with Bacon and Onions, Homemade Bread or Rolls, Apple Pie and a tall glass of Brewed Ice Tea.

When I was growing up, Sunday dinner was most often roast chicken and rice pilaf.

These days, it's a day when I try to do what most of you do. I make a big meal around a rost or a special dish that may require a little more effort than most recipes.

Growing up, Sunday dinner was usually Pizza or Chinese take out. Now it can still be that, but we treat it as any other day. We do not eat certain things on certain days.

Fried Chicken:

Heat oil on medium heat.....I like using a Cast Iron Skillet ..... sometimes I use vegetable oil and sometimes I'll use Crisco Shortening....just depends on what I have on hand.

Put some flour in a large ziplock bag and add S & P and mix that all into the flour

Beat up a couple eggs and add S & P.

Dip the chicken in the egg mixture and let the excess drip off before adding it to the flour. Put the chicken (only a few pieces at a time) in the baggie and coat it with the flour. I shake off the excess flour.

Add chicken to your hot oil and fry till golden brown. I then finish it off in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Just depends on if the chicken browned quickly and if so then I bake it in the oven for 20 min.

Chicken Gravy:

I drain off some of the fat in the skillet.....leaving about 2-3 tablespoons....just eyeball it. I keep the heat on medium and sprinkle in 2-3 heaping tablespoons of flour and work that around in the skillet being sure to get all the fried chicken bits (lots of flavor) off the bottom and to cook the flour otherwise you'll have a raw flour taste. I then whisk in about 1/2 skillet of milk. Add S & P. As the milk cooks it will start to thicken. If it gets too thick for your taste then add a little milk to thin it out. If its too thin then make a slurry and add it. You do this by putting a heaping tbsp. flour in a cup and adding about 1/2 cup of water to that and quickly mixing that around with a fork to get any lumps out and then slowly stream that into the gravy as you quickly whisk while doing so. You'll have to taste your gravy off and on to get the right seasoning with the S & P.

NOTE: Sometimes for a change I will let my chicken soak in a combination of Buttermilk, S & P, Garlic Salt and Hot Sauce. You add enough hot sauce till you get a pinkish blush color. It'll shock you cause you'll use like 3/4 of a bottle but believe me its not hot. Let this soak a couple hours and then proceed with the above. Kind of reminds me of KFC's chicken when i cook it this way.

You know, what ever we ate on sunday, it was secondary to the people we ate it with. Having mom,dad,sister,brother,cousin,gramma and grampa, aunts and uncles there with us were what made it special. While the grownups talked we half listened as we poked each other and snickered when one of us burped or made other noises the adults frowned on..Part of us wanted to finish up and go play some more,but, the thought of missing what the adults had lowered their voices about lured us to linger a bit longer. Yes, we remember the chicken or roast, but mostly we remember those we love.

kadesma:)

I remember one Sunday when we didn't have company - my two sisters and I were talking about something and got so tickled we couldn't eat. After seeing we weren't getting anywhere with our food, mom and dad told us to go sit on the back steps until we could control ourselves. I don't remember if we went back to finish or not, but we could laugh ourselves silly over the smallest thing - still can when we get together.

Back
Top Bottom