Lawrys seasoning salt vs -----------

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like Lawry's. I first used it in mac and cheese. Now I use it in the flour mixture for pork chops.

When I first started cooking for my own family that was my go to for seasoning. Then suddenly it was unavailable for the longest time and I got on to other things. Now I find it again but have a great many other seasonings to use - so don't really have a "favourite" at the moment, unless it is Club House 'la grille' for Montreal Chicken.

We don't have a seasoning mix that works for most things. For popcorn we use a salt free mix of onion powder, garlic powder, and smoked paprika which we label as 'POP'. I do use those three things for many savory dishes but I don't premix them.

I don't usually think to use a seasoning blend. I have some copycat Lawry's and other stuff, that I made up for specific recipes that called for them. When I was a kid, we used to make a sandwich we called a "tuna super duper". It had whole wheat bread, tuna salad, lettuce, cucumber slices, and tomato slices and a good shake of Lawry's seasoned salt. They were really quite good.

I don't use pre-made seasoning blends of any kind for cooking. I will sometimes use a pre-made rub for BBQ, usually pork ribs, but not for brisket or beef ribs.

CD

I never use a "salt mix" of any type, not because I'm watching my salt in any way, but I want to know what I'm adding. Plus, I'm not crazy about the garlic and onion powder in most of those things - they always seem to give me an aftertaste, compared to using fresh.

I never use a "salt mix" of any type, not because I'm watching my salt in any way, but I want to know what I'm adding. Plus, I'm not crazy about the garlic and onion powder in most of those things - they always seem to give me an aftertaste, compared to using fresh.
You wouldn't like our food. I often use both fresh and powdered (garlic and onion) and often that is how the recipe is written. I've tried to avoid the 'extra' of dried powdered garlic and onion but they are most of my savory recipes.

Got to thinking about Seasoning Blends, so had to look some up.
Lawry's Seasoning Salt became available in 1938, and their Lemon Pepper came out in 1967.
One didn't see much in the way of blends until the 70's and 80's. Guess that's why I didn't really even look at all those 'new fangled concoctions'. By the time I really 'got into' cooking, the all hype was now how to make your own. :unsure: ;):D

I use Penzeys Seasoning Salt and a ton of their other blends. There are a few I make myself, but theirs have unique flavors that I couldn't reproduce unless I bought even more individual spices than I already have lol

I don't think it's a crime, or anything to be embarrassed about, to take a little help from the store, as Rachael Ray used to say. She was the first person who I felt really encouraged me to cook. I discovered her 30-Minute Meals show when I was home for six weeks recovering from surgery and I learned *so much*. Give yourself a break now and then.

I don't think it's a crime, or anything to be embarrassed about, to take a little help from the store, as Rachael Ray used to say. She was the first person who I felt really encouraged me to cook. I discovered her 30-Minute Meals show when I was home for six weeks recovering from surgery and I learned *so much*. Give yourself a break now and then.

Nothing wrong with using pre-made blends at all. I have to be careful, because my kidneys don't process salt as well as they should. I have to check sodium levels on everything, and most of the blends you find in grocery stores are really high in sodium. Most cajun seasonings seem to be sodium bombs (and I don't like them -- I hate Tony Chachere's).

I have tried some commercial BBQ rubs, as mentioned before, but a lot of them are sodium bombs, too.

So, the primary reason I don't use pre-made seasoning blends is because of one ingredient... salt. I'm sure there are some good blends out there that go easy on the salt, but I'm so used to just using loose seasonings, or making my own rubs, that I just don't look at the commercial blends and rubs.

CD

Last edited:
I dislike paying that much for salt. That's one of the main reasons I don't buy most commercial seasoning mixes. I also dislike not having as easy control over how much salt is in my food.

I dislike paying that much for salt. That's one of the main reasons I don't buy most commercial seasoning mixes. I also dislike not having as easy control over how much salt is in my food.
Penzeys has quite a few salt-free blends. They even have a filter button on the website so you can view just those.

It used to be called Mrs. Dash; now it's just Dash. They sell a garlic & herb blend that I like, especially in soup. Aside from that, no spice/herb blends of any kind in my kitchen.

I don't use many spice blends. I prefer to make my own and I often use fish or soy sauce as my salt source.
I do however have some curry powder and garam masala's

Penzeys has quite a few salt-free blends. They even have a filter button on the website so you can view just those.

I just looked through the "Spices A-Z" section at Pensey's, and figure that's where I'll shop. I'd prefer to buy good quality individual spices/herbs than blends. I need to go through my pantry, and see what I need -- or see what is so old I need to replace.

They have free shipping on orders over 40-bucks. That's not a high bar to clear.

CD

I just looked through the "Spices A-Z" section at Pensey's, and figure that's where I'll shop. I'd prefer to buy good quality individual spices/herbs than blends. I need to go through my pantry, and see what I need -- or see what is so old I need to replace.

They have free shipping on orders over 40-bucks. That's not a high bar to clear.

CD
And occasionally they reduce it to $25.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom