Grilled Cheese Contest! Please Vote

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who's Is Better?

• Cheesyness 1

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Cheesyness 2

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters

GrilledCheeseContest

Assistant Cook
673492705_l.jpg

Cheesyness 1

Cheesyness 2
673491711_l.jpg

VOTE ON WHOS CHEESYNESS IS BETTER!

Well, we already ate them sooo..

I can post recipes for both and maybe you can guess, they are both made the same but with different ingredients.

Cheesyness 1
White Bread Fans 100% whole grain bread (wonderbread)
Kraft american singles (2)
Butter (Both sides)

Cheesyness 2
White Bread Fans 100% whole grain bread (wonderbread)
1 1/2 handfuls of grated tillamook sharp cheddar cheese
3 sprays of olive oil (each side, and the pan)

Well you cant tell from the pictures, but since posting the recipes I'd have to go with #2. (even though you used wonderbread for both... not a big fan of that "bread")

Like the idea of the Tillamook cheese, but prefer the butter to the oo.

i'm with auntdot on the butter. and tillamook cheese is just average, imo. besides, no one can decide how to pronounce it. till-ah-muk, till-a-muk, till-aaahhh-mook.
it figures, from the willamette valley. will-ah-met. will-a-met, will-aaahhh-met.

sheesh.

Last edited:
now grilled cheese is one of my favorites, I make them with home made whole wheat bread, a bit of dijon mustard, Jarlesburg cheese, and maybe a slice of sweet onion. And I have been looking into various ways to cook them. I got tired of trying to flip them in a cast iron frying pan, so I looked on ebay for one of those old waffle irons that also had the interchangeable plates for sandwiches. It took three purchases to find one that cooks sandwiches to my liking. But it works beyond belief. I found the later ones, say 1950's, had the science down, the plates that are thin do the best job, not the heavy cast plates.

Both of those sandwiches need alot of work

stick around here for awhile and you will be amazed at what you can learn

bethzaring said:
now grilled cheese is one of my favorites, I make them with home made whole wheat bread, a bit of dijon mustard, Jarlesburg cheese, and maybe a slice of sweet onion. And I have been looking into various ways to cook them. I got tired of trying to flip them in a cast iron frying pan, so I looked on ebay for one of those old waffle irons that also had the interchangeable plates for sandwiches. It took three purchases to find one that cooks sandwiches to my liking. But it works beyond belief. I found the later ones, say 1950's, had the science down, the plates that are thin do the best job, not the heavy cast plates.

I am soooo jealous. Teh grilled cheese sandwiiches made by my grandpa on a thin-plate waffle iron, with reversable plates, were the best!:) Of course they had Velveeta dripping from them. I still love Velveeta in grilled cheese sandwiches. But my pallate has expanded to making them with whole wheat bread, and using muenster, havarti, gruyere, swiss (must be light, well flavored, and with lots of small holes), a good, three to five-year-aged white Balderson Heritage Cheddar (puts Tillamook to shame in my opinion), or even cream cheese mixed with a touch of liquid smoke and onion, with tomato slices.

As for the original question, If you make it with three slices, then I'd go for recipe#1. It's a comfort food kind0of thing.:rolleyes:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I prefer butter as well, but I do not butter the bread. I melt the butter in the pan first and then place the sandwich into the melted butter.

I keep butter in the fridge so it's too hard to spread on bread. I butter a non-stick skillet and then add the sandwich.

I often add tomato or ham to the cheese. I'll use muenster or swiss along with white American for cheeses.

Butter the bread usually a thin sliced sourdough add two cheeses and a big slice of tomato..yummers

kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom