Cake flour substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arlienb

Cook
i am from the UK and i have a problem with getting cake flour for my bundt cake and pound cake recipes. i've heard of the plain flour + cornstarch substitute, but i read somewhere that it's not really a good thing to do for delicate cakes like these. would anybody know of an alternative? there's a product being sold here called Self-raising sponge flour...is that cake flour? thanks!

It's all to do with the protein level of the flour. Cake flour is made from soft wheat that is bleached to increase it's ability to absorb liquid, sugar and fats.

Most substitutions are either
* 1 c cake flour = 12-14 tb plain flour + 4-2 tb cornstarch or other low gluten starch] OR
* 1 c cake flour = 7/8 c plain flour.

Description of sponge flour: ' milled from specially selected soft wheats producing an extremely fine flour ideal for sponge making. It can absorb more moisture and sugar than standard flour and will produce a very light, soft texture.'

If it is Self-Raising sponge flour, then it can be substitued for Self-Raising cake flour Or plain Cake flour and the leaveners in the recipe.

Generally, protein levels are [BUT they can fluctuate wildly due to locational, seasonal and $$$ factors]:
• Plain Flour……9%-13%
• Cake flour……………6%-10%
• Pastry flour…………..8%-11%
• Self-Raising flour……..8%-11.5%

Last edited:
Cake Flour, usually self raising, is a low-gluten flour which makes cakes lighter and more crumbly. It is not readily available in Australia. If a recipe calls for cake flour, make your own substitute by removing 3 tablespoons per cup of flour and replacing it with either cornflour (cornstarch if you live in America!) or potato flour.

In the United States, self-rising flour is normally AP flour with salt and baking powder added to it. Its protein content will be the same as AP.

But you can also buy self-rising cake flour.

I wonder if King Arthur ships internationally?

thanks for the suggestions. unfortunately, most US products don't ship internationally. i have procured the self-rising sponge flour i mentioned, but i still have to try it. will let you know if it will produce a lighter cake.

Hi Daisy, if i were to use the cake flour substitute of unbleached plain flour with added corn flour, i realise that this doesn't really work for all recipes, especially for certain cakes like sponge cakes which will result in a denser cake....pretty much different from the original recipe that uses cake flour or bleached plain flour with added corn flour.

I've just moved to Australia and realised I can only find plain unbleached flour and self-raising flour (they don't mention on the package whether it's bleached or not) in the supermarkets. Can I find bleached plain flour or self-rising sponge flour in the shops here?

Back
Top Bottom