Fondant help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hello there

Assistant Cook
Has anyone here tried making soft fondant, like the type that is put in cherries? Any tips? I want to try it but I have a recipe that has glycerin in it. Is it neccesary to put glycerin in it? :ermm: I don't have any. Where do you get it anyway?
thanks

Fondant is something that many people do not make...I do not use glycerine in my recipe and I have not seen it used before...here is my recipe...

3.5 Pounds - sugar
14.1 oz - Corn syrup
13.5 oz. - Water

1) Bring to a boil and wash down the sides of the cooking pot with a brush and water.
2) Cook sugar mixture to 241 Degrees F.
3) Let cool down to 110 Degrees F. (Do not stir, agitate or move)
4) Put sugar syrup into a kitchen aid mixer(or another mixer). With the paddle attachment beat the sugar mixture(at low to medium speed) until it turns white and you can see that is has crystalized.
5) Store in an air tight container.

Have fun,
Robert
Chocolate Guild :: learn about chocolate, talk about chocolate

the glycerin would help to make it even more pliable and perhaps give it a bit more sheen. it should be available at a pharmacy if you want to use it. i don't think it's necessary, and in fact haven't heard of using it for fondant.

however, there are "fondant" recipes which are not really fondants. most likely, your recipe is one of these. essentially confectioner's sugar with corn syrup and maybe shortening. it's called a "rolled fondant" or sugar paste.

if you're a novice baker trying to do a nice cake, i might advise sticking to your recipe. however, if you're planning on using the fondant to stuff something, you might want to go ahead and use rob's recipe above. with a little experience with a true fondant under your belt on a more forgiving product, you might be ready to try it on a cake next time around.

good luck
icon12.gif

Thank you so much! I'll lbe sure to try that... sorry I didn't reply sooner... I've been sick...:sick:
Thanks!

Fondant

I know this is kind of late but maybe you could use this the next time you make your chocolate covered cherries.
Here's a no cook fondant recipe that I use.

1/3 cup corn syrup
5 tblsp butter-soften
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Mix all ingredients except the powdered sugar until well blended. Then add the powdered sugar and mix well. It should have the consistency of play dough.
I hope this helps.
Happy Candy Making
deLaney
Chocolate Candy Maker

Back
Top Bottom