Cranberry Upside-down Gingerbread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kansasgirl

Senior Cook
This is wonderful and a great dessert for the holidays.

Cranberry Upside-down Gingerbread
2 c Cranberries
1 Orange, peeled and cut into chunks
3 tb Butter
1/3 c Maple syrup
1/2 c Raisins
1 1/4 c AP flour
3/4 ts Baking soda
1 ts Ground cinnamon
1/2 ts Ground ginger
1/4 ts Ground cloves
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 c Buttermilk
1/4 c Butter, at room temp
1/4 c Sugar
1 Egg
1/2 c Molasses
2 tb Finely chopped preserved ginger
Whipped cream

Preheat oven to 350F
1.Place cranberries and orange chunks in food processor; pulse to coarsely chop. Set aside.
2.Melt 3 tb butter in a 9 in square baking pan in oven. Pour maple syrup over butter.
3.Spoon cranberry mixture evenly over maple syrup in baking pan. Sprinkle with raisins, and set aside.
4.In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, cloves and salt.
5.In blender or food processor, blend buttermilk, butter, sugar, egg and molasses until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add preserved ginger and blend until mixed.
6.Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
7.Pour batter over cranberry mixture. Bake for 40-50 minutes. Loosen cake from edges of pan and invert immediately onto serving plate. Serve warm topped with a dollop of whipped cream.

Kansasgirl: Thank you for posting your recipe. I have made upside-down gingerbreads with many fruit variations – such as banana, peach, pear, and pineapple – now cranberry is on the radar! (I must compliment you for the inclusion of maple syrup. Good understanding of flavor pairing. Perhaps you may like to check out my pumpkin-cranberry custard recipe posted in a near-by thread?)

Back
Top Bottom