Bacon Dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john a

Executive Chef
The Italian hot dog posted by Jeekinz reminded me of a bacon dog I did a while ago.

Wrapped in bacon and fried, dressed with my homemade dog sauce, mustard, and onions.

img_582164_0_50afd018cfe63a00861806d4135775a0.jpg

img_582164_1_d772f09c88217eafa8a9b226a68410c1.jpg

img_582164_2_dc9bc8be288ce4625e78eba9aae768b5.jpg

img_582164_3_6539c08e9d8dd5fef0df23ec7ee3c69f.jpg

Bacon Dogs are classic. For added flavor, partially split the dog and place agreat chees, like gorganzola, 3 to 5 year aged white cheddar, havarti, or good old American cheese in the slit. Wrap in bacon held in place with toothpics, and broil or grill to perfection.

If you really want to go over the top with this, encase the cooked dog in uncooked bread dough, let rise, and bake until the bread is done to make the most incredible pigs-in-the-blanket ever. Use a squirt bottle to fill with your favorite condiments. Of course, you can put things like diced onion, peppers, or whatever into the dough with the dog. Yum.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

ahhhhh... could be. But John said it was topped with homemade "dog sauce"...so, I'm not sure.

Bacon Dogs are classic. For added flavor, partially split the dog and place agreat chees, like gorganzola, 3 to 5 year aged white cheddar, havarti, or good old American cheese in the slit. Wrap in bacon held in place with toothpics, and broil or grill to perfection

That's what I do. And I put it in a toasted bun. Yummy

Texas pete's chili sauce for dogs ROCKS if john keeps that "dog sauce" recipe a secret :LOL:

I can't help myself... I've used a flavor injector, and injected beer into my dogs and grilled them. Those dogs look amazing though... after all, how bad can anything wrapped in bacon be :LOL: ?

I'll dig it out and post. It's from a poster on another forum that duplicated the sauce from a place in Kingston, NY, called texas Hot weiners. I grew uo there and started eating their dogs over 50 years ago, last one's were a couple of years ago.

I cannot believe I've never heard of or tried this!!! Looks fantastic, John. I was trying to decide what to have for dinner and now I know. These dogs, some baked beans, some potato chips and some watermelon for dessert. Woo Hoo!!!

I cannot believe I've never heard of or tried this!!! Looks fantastic, John. I was trying to decide what to have for dinner and now I know. These dogs, some baked beans, some potato chips and some watermelon for dessert. Woo Hoo!!!

Are you sure you don't want to throw in a celery stick or two?

........you know, to kinda be a tad little bit healthy? :LOL:

Are you sure you don't want to throw in a celery stick or two?

........you know, to kinda be a tad little bit healthy? :LOL:
Oh, you know you have a big ole box of Twinkies in your pantry, just like me. But I'm glad you mentioned trying to make this meal a little healthier - I think I'll take Elf's suggestion.;)

A hot dog with cheese inside and wrapped in bacon is called a Whistle Pig, made famous by Page's Whistle Pig in Niagara Falls, NY, and I've been eating them for over 50 years.

As for hot dog sauce, below is my ripoff, er, version, of Ted's Charcoal Hots (Buffalo NY locations) hot dog sauce, which I believe is pretty authentic.

Ted's Hot Dog Sauce

1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small onion, dliced
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 cups water
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon chile powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup vinegar
1 10-oz jar sweet pickle relish

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Sauté diced onion and bell pepper in the oil for 5 minutes, until onions are soft but not brown.
3. Add water, tomato paste, corn syrup, cornstarch, salt, and red pepper flakes, and stir.
4. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add vinegar. Continue to simmer for an additiona1 30 minutes or until most of the liquid has reduced and the sauce is thick. Add relish and stir to heat through, then turn OFF burner.

Last edited:
All righty, here we go; Enjoy

Texas Hot Wiener Sauce

4 cups water
12 oz ground all beef hotdogs
1/2 cup cornstarch (dissolved in a little cold water)
1 tbls paprika
1 tbls chili powder
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tsp sea or kosher salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Fresh ground black pepper

Bring everything to a boil, except the cornstarch. Let simmer for 30 minutes, and then slowly add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly. Bring back to a boil, and keep stirring until simmering again, simmer another 30 minutes. Taste along the way, adjusting the salt or pepper as you like it. Refrigerate overnight. Serve on your favorite hotdog, with brown mustard, diced onion, in a steamed hotdog bun. This sauce will be somewhat thin, it is supposed to be, it is not a "chili dog" recipe. The sauce will thicken as it cools. You may have to add a little water when reheating, especially if it’s been frozen. Play with it for your desired consistency.

Normally I fry the dogs in a pan and toast the buns. When I did this I boiled the dogs and steamed the buns in order to see how close the finished product would be to those at Dallas Hot Weiner’s in Kingston, NY. Some spicy brown mustard, chopped onions, the sauce, and I thought I was in Kingston.

img_582748_0_125e9787c69015194278ac95a2de3571.jpg

img_582748_1_e863d2b7ad93aef0c138d8c5ea88a2a3.jpg

img_582748_2_f86a8232fe3d294675be7b097843efaa.jpg

img_582748_3_f80bb3bb2fe769a08ca18028da2edbab.jpg

Back
Top Bottom