Weird food combinations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
peanut butter and bacon...YUM

I love balsamic reduction on fruit, ices cream...but that isn't as odd as it used to be...

As I read through some of these, i can see how they would be appealing. A lot of them are just combinations that create a flavor profile, that can be likened to more common combinations.

As for the first post, regarding grape jelly and sausage, when ever I am making bbq'ed meatballs of something, I always use grape jelly to finish. learned it off an old Chef buddy/mentor, and it is awesome!

Also, finishing cocktail sauce with Johny Walker, best cocktail sauce ever!

PeppA, my other half, likes to make a really dry tuna noodle casserole, and insists on topping it with chopped raw onions and crumbled sour cream 'n chive potato chips.

I just found out a couple of days ago that my Sous Chef likes to put ranch dressing on spaghetti.

the only really weird one i've seen was from a buddy from ireland. we picked up chinese take-out one night, when he lived here in the states, and on the way home he said he had to stop to get white bread. i didn't understand why we had to go get it while our food was getting cold, but then he asked me "don't you put your chinese food on bread?"

he loved curried chicken on wonder white bread.

Mac and cheese with balsamic vinegar sprinkled on it.
Bacon and peanut butter sandwiches.
Scooping cottage cheese with potato chips.
mmmmm ~bliss

I can't think of any odd combos because if I do them, they seem 'normal'. :) I mix cottage cheese and yogurt together and eat it. I also mix syrup and peanut butter together for a sandwich spread.

My Mama used to eat a Bacon sandwich. She would use 2 slices of white sandwich bread, on one she would put yellow mustard, on the other she would put grape jelly and then put bacon on it. It was original, I'll have to give her that! :wacko:

Plain M&Ms dropped into my beer.

I do stuff like that with a lot of drinks.. Skittles, Smarties, jawbreakers, etc, all go into soft drinks if I'm drinking one. lol

If I have applesauce and ham at the same time, I love to dip a bite of ham into the applesauce and eat it.

Then, on the not so weird side, I mix stuff into my mashed potatoes (corn, peas, okra, etc).

And who doesn't love to dip cookies into a glass of milk and let it get moist and super soft? I take it a bit far sometimes though. I've put milk in a bowl, and let some cookies soak in the bowl for an hour or more, then eat them with a spoon and drink the milk. Absolutely amazing. It really enhances the flavor too.

I can't think of any odd combos because if I do them, they seem 'normal'. :) I mix cottage cheese and yogurt together and eat it. I also mix syrup and peanut butter together for a sandwich spread.

Peanut butter and syrup on toast was a staple at our house..

Dill pickle slices on pizza. Yum!

I used to have a sandwich I liked....

Onion bun, sardines in hot sauce, cheddar cheese, onion slices.

When I was a kid we liked to make peanut butter and jam sandwiches, using leftover pancakes for the bread.

I also (as a kid) liked to make sandwiches with white bread and refried beans, or white bread and leftover spaghetti.

We used to break up leftover cornbread, sprinkle sugar on it, and pour milk on it--like cereal. Same with leftover rice.

I still like to pour very hot baked beans on top of very cold cottage cheese and eat them together.

I never knew for a long time that my mom did the same thing I did when we had baked country style ribs, sauerkraut, baby peas, and mashed potatoes. I like to eat the sauerkraut with the meat, of course, but I also like to take a big bite of mashed potatoes with sauerkraut. My mom and I were surprised to find out we both did the same thing.

:)Barbara

One of my favorite sammys: spanish olives and cream cheese on wheat bread.

spanish olives & cream cheese on any kind of bread or even crackers is awesome;):pig:
I have some weird combos....I only eat hard pretzels with a tall, cold glass of milk( I got that from my Mom) I like ketchup on my (plain) potato chips, mayo on fries:pig:, if I eat ramen noodles they have to have a slice or 2 of american cheese melted in them:pig::pig:
Theres more I just cant think of them right now:LOL:

My son used to make sandwiches out of chocolate graham crackers and sliced cheese - ICK ICK ICK! And I tasted it so I can say ICK!

Not so uncommon but I like mayo, peanut butter, and banana sandwiches as opposed to my DH, who just likes a mayo sandwich.

DH puts a dollop of mayo on his pinto beans - that's also ICK :LOL: Sour cream I could understand, but not mayo :rolleyes:

I don't think I have any weird combinations - :chef:

DW is in Danvers, Mass at the moment and she does think that the breakfasts are unusual. She has never seen cake & doughnuts on a breakfast buffet beefore.

During asparagus and strawberry season here in Germany I saw a recipe for asparagus with strawberries. Doesnt appeal to me.

Mel

Try beating 2 or 3 eggs together, no water or milk, just eggs, pour into a skillet and hard cook, like a pan cake, flipping once, then spread grape jelly over it. weird but good. Have you noticed how much grape jelly in being used in inconveniently cooking?

Okay, thank goodness I'm not the only fan of peanut butter and bacon sandwiches

Cream cheese and grape jelly sandwiches.
Sausage and maple syrup is my daughters favorite
Chili on mash potatoes
Salt and lime in Bud Ice

Back
Top Bottom