Thursday Feb 26, What's for Dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Left over spaghetti for some of us, chicken quesadillas for my son, my DH wants rice and beans and as for me there is some left over kielbasa in the fridge I was thinking of cooking up and making a sandwich on rye with mustard and sauerkraut.

Roast Beef , mushroom gravy , mashed potatoes , some sort of veg. Perhaps broccoli because i have a tonne of it . Maybe Yorkshire puddings if I'm not too lazy.

Well I tortured daughter #1 with tuna steaks last night so I'd better make something palatable for her tonight. Chicken of some kind I think. Brandied chicken maybe. No one has anywhere to go tonight so that might work well.

Meaty bbq ribs, baked beans,the kids want melon and berries and i'll make a green salad of escarole,avocado, onion garlic croutons and nice warm crusty french rolls. Chocolate pudding for the little ones.

kadesma

Have lots of leftovers in the fridge and hubby is teaching tonight. My class is canceled so I'm home alone. DS comes home for spring break tomorrow so need to make room in the fridge for his likes.

Well, Mr. Breezycooking made a point late last night of mentioning that not only had we not had chili in awhile, but that today (2/26) was apparently "National Chili Day". So even though I have some lovely Gulf shrimp in the fridge that I'd planned to layer with a crabmeat stuffing in individual gratin dishes, I guess that will have to wait until tomorrow, as I just happen to have all the ingredients on hand for the following:

Breezy White Chili

Serves 2 (with leftovers) to 3, but recipe can easily be doubled & then some!

1 can Great Northern White Beans or Cannellini (white kidney beans), undrained
A couple of splashes of chicken broth (I use Swanson’s in the carton)
1 package (about a pound or so) boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite-size pieces)
1 small onion of choice - chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
Approx. 1 tablespoon ground cumin

Approx. 1 tablespoon ground coriander
Approx. 1 tablespoon mild to medium chili powder
1 small can (4 oz.) chopped green chilis

1 fresh Jalapeno pepper, seeded & choppped
Ground Cayenne pepper to taste (optional, depending on how much heat you like)
Approx. ¼-1/2 cup fresh Cilantro leaves, chopped

Approx. 1 cup of sour cream
Approx. 2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese
Dollop or 2 of extra-virgin olive oil

Roughly chopped romaine lettuce
Crushed white tortilla chips

In a large skillet heat a couple of dollops of olive oil & sauté the onion & Jalapeno pepper until softened but not browned. Add garlic & chicken & continue sautéing until chicken is cooked thru. Add a couple of splashes of chicken broth, beans, canned chilis, cumin, coriander, chili powder, & cayenne (if using). Stir, lower heat, & allow to simmer until mixture is just about at the thickness you like (some folks like their chili thin; some thick). Stir in sour cream & chopped Cilantro & heat thru (don’t allow to boil).

Place some of the grated cheese in the bottom of each chili serving bowl & spoon hot chili over. Top with more cheese, the chopped Romaine lettuce, crushed tortilla chips, & serve.

I don't know, I still get lost. I think I've learned 'What's for dinner?' is a more diffficult enigma of a question then 'What's the meaning of life?'. I want to try a crack at a Risotto and cook up some Green Beans with it or maybe make Tuna Salad. Hmm :wacko:

pasta mafalda & linguini with marinara. actually i now 'dinner' is at like 8:45 in the morning when i am at school. either way, mafalda was great.

something in the boneless pork chop line. I had to go into work an hour early (5 a.m.) this morning so I want something easy to fix before I conk out on the couch.

I had asparagus chow mein yesterday and tomorrow will be asparagus quiche. For today, I'll just make a quick spaghetti sauce, vodka sauce if I have any, otherwise, marinara probably.

Worked a bit late this evening so I was glad to finish the leftover beef stew that we had in the fridge.

I'm having leftover ham'n split pea soup, which I made last night. I think DH is going to have salad and a sandwich. He did like the soup, though.

Back
Top Bottom