Cottage Herb Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
I just made this tonight and it turned out really well. As I have been learning to bake bread, it has helped me to make one loaf smaller than the other. That way I can take the smaller one out sooner, to get an idea on when the larger will be done. (I don't usually need two perfect loaves of bread.) :)

My loaves are still not quite perfectly formed but they are coming out delicious!

I also added parmesan to the top:

· 2 packages active dry yeast
· 1/2 cup warm water (110F.)
· 2 teaspoon sugar
· 2 cups creamed cottage cheese
· 3 tablespoons minced onion
· 2 tablespoon dill weed
· 1 tablespoon dried oregano
· ½ tablespoon cracked black pepper
· ½ tablespoon basil
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· 2 teaspoon salt
· 2 tablespoon sugar
· 2 eggs
· 4 1/2 cups flour

Pour water into a bowl. Add two teaspoons of sugar to the water and sprinkle the yeast on top. Set aside. In another bowl combine the cottage cheese, onions, dill, oregano, black pepper, basil, baking powder, sugar, salt and eggs. Mix well. Add just enough flour to make a stiff dough. Knead the dough for 8 minutes. Place into a greased bowl and cover. Allow dough to rise for 1 hour. Punch down the dough and divide into 2 equal portions. Place dough into 2 greased loaf pans and cover. Allow to rise for 1 hour. Bake bread in a preheated oven for 30 minute at 350F. Cool on a wire rack.

Attachments

• Cats and Food 006.jpg
    Cats and Food 006.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 215
Looks wonderful!

One question: you make specific mention that the oregano is "dried" - does that mean that the other herbs used (basil & dill) are fresh?

No, but I was thinking next time I make it, I try with all fresh.

This time I made it with all dried.

Thanks!

Just remember that when you switch from dried to fresh herbs you need to increase the amount by 3. Dried herbs - with some exceptions - tend to be stronger than fresh.

Breezy thanks for that tip. I didn't know that. I'm pretty new to cooking and baking.

I'm not sure if fresh would work for bread than. That would be an incredible about of extra stuff and I have found the amount of liquid vs the amount of dry ingredients really matters.

Maybe a baker could tell me on that.

I think I might try a small loaf with some leftover homemade ricotta. I'll probably use dried herbs, with the exception of some fresh chives that I will use instead of dill.

Back
Top Bottom