How long can I keep mushrooms in refrig!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thaicooking

Senior Cook
I've refrigerated mushrooms for 5 days until now, and they're turning dark. I'm wondering if it's ok to cook them?? and how long can I keep mushrooms in refrigerator?? :huh:

are they slimy with mold on them? Sometimes the darker ones are more flavorful. Mine usually dry out so I don't worry that much about using them. Not sure that I would eat them raw.

mushrooms keep pretty well in a brown paper bag in the fridge. Plastic wrap is not friendly to them. As they age the fridge pulls moisture out of them and they dry a bit, better for sauteeing than eating raw.

I kept them in zipplock bag, so they are moist! Thank you Robo, I'd rather keep them in brown bag next time..

As long as they're not slimy and/or moldy, they're fine. But Robo is right - keeping them dry and dark in the fridge will extend that lifespan.

I agree with TheMetalChef. It's best to keep the mushrooms dry and dark in the fridge. I wouldn't know if it matters but I keep them in the refrigerator shelf rather than in the crisper.

Typically for long storage I'd fry the mushrooms up with clarified butter / olive oil; (accidentally eat some) then vac seal / freeze.... Last much longer then fridge...

Another option; blanch and freeze (in case you don't want to change the flavor) So basically soak mushies in water for a couple of minutes, dunk in boiling water for a 1-2 mins then immediately plunge back into cold water...

5 days is pretty much max for fridge storage; they begin breaking down, and turn into tasteless mush.

I use opition a for mushies desitined for saueting and opition b for soups and other water based dishes...

Also salting and pickling will work... (but add / kill the flavors of the mushrooms too much for me)

Freezing you can expect months; your basic enemey is freezer burn; which can be almost elimnated with a cheapy vac sealers...

I kept them in zipplock bag, so they are moist! Thank you Robo, I'd rather keep them in brown bag next time..
If they're still good, take them out, pat them with a paper towel and and put them in a paper bag now. They will keep better. I wrap mine in a paper bag, then put the bag in another paper bag and they'll usually keep for at least a week.

There's really no hard or fast rule to how long you can keep mushrooms in the fridge. Frankly, you can keep them in the fridge for as long as they remain fresh - lol!!

That said, so long as they're kept dry, they should last quite awhile, although they may begin drying out a bit. Even then you can still cook with them. As others have already stated, once they start turning dark &/or slimy it's time to toss them. A bit of dryness, particularly if you plan to saute them or cook them in liquid, won't hurt them a bit, & even concentrates the flavor.

I currently have half an 8 oz. package of white button mushrooms that've been in the fridge for almost 2 weeks now & will be using them tonight. They're in the usual pressed paper plastic-covered carton, but I loosened the plastic to allow air to circulate & they're just fine. I've also found that out of all the fresh mushroom varieties commercially available, Shitakes definitely last the longest. I've been amazed at how long a container of fresh Shitakes - again, with a bit of air circulation - remains fresh & usable.

brown paper

If you have kept your mushrooms in a brown paper properly, then certainly your mushrooms will stay their freshness and quality up to five days only... The temperature of your refrigerator should be in between of zero to two degree Celsius ( 0°C to 2°C ) or 32°F to 35.
When the mushroom oxidizes and turned brown this means that your mushroom are no longer fresh and good to consume..This is similar in the case of apple slices when left out in the table or any where else..
:chef:

The brown paper bag is the way to go........I picked some wild porcini
several weeks ago,....sliced them 1/2" thick and dehydrated them till
they were almost completed dryed,...kept them in a paper bag in a
cool dry place, pulled some out yesterday, soaked them about 10 min.
in cold water and they sauteed just as tho I'd just picked them...they
were excellent........I dunno if other types can be done the same way..
I've frozen (grifola florosa) Hen of the woods, indefinately, w/ similar
results.....................................................................................BH51

If I have mushrooms that I know I will not use up within 1-2 days I will slice and dehydrate them. Then they are good almost forever and can be used in recipes as is or rehydrated first.

I love it when the stores mark down the price 50% or more on mushrooms due to the 'sell by' date. They are perfected fine and I bring home and dehydrate or if I really have a lot of them I will 'can' them.

If you have kept your mushrooms in a brown paper properly, then certainly your mushrooms will stay their freshness and quality up to five days only.

Sorry - I completely disagree. There are VERY few things having to do with food & cooking that are this definitive. VERY few. Like I stated in my previous post here, I've had mushrooms maintain their quaility & last for WEEKS in my fridge. If I went by your standards, the 2-week old white buttons I used last night, which, by the way, were still absolutely perfect, would've had to be tossed because they were past your "5 days only" rule. You simply can't make generalized statements like that - they don't fit everyone.

The brown paper bag is the way to go........I picked some wild porcini
several weeks ago,....sliced them 1/2" thick and dehydrated them till
they were almost completed dryed,...kept them in a paper bag in a
cool dry place, pulled some out yesterday, soaked them about 10 min.
in cold water and they sauteed just as tho I'd just picked them...they
were excellent........I dunno if other types can be done the same way..
I've frozen (grifola florosa) Hen of the woods, indefinately, w/ similar
results.....................................................................................BH51

are hen of the woods, sheeps head, and oyster mushrooms the same mushroom?

Julia's Way With Mushies

Hey Kids:

See Page 515 of Mastering the Art of...(by Child). I have always used this method of utilizing mushrooms that look less than perfect, but not rotten or moldy. Saute up this mix and store it in the freezer (I use my food saver machine and freeze it in small plastic pouches). This mix has many uses.

Duxelles

1/2 lb. finely minced fresh mushrooms, whole your with the stems (you choose, about 2 cups).
An 8" enameled skillet
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons Shallots, or Green onions, minced
1 Tablespoons oil
Optional: 1/4 cup of Maderia wine and 1/4 cup brown stock or canned beef boullion.

Squeeze the mushrooms dry thereby extracting as much juice/water from them as possible. If you are frugal, you can save the liquid for soups, etc. In the skillet, saute the mushies, shallots or onions in the butter and oil over moderately high heat. After 6-8 minutes the mushroom pieces should begin to separate, (after the squeezing) and begin to caramelize slightly.

Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the optional wine and stock, and boil down rapidly until liquid has reduced to nothing.

(*)If not used immediately, allow to cool. Pack into a covered jar or other container, store in the fridge, or freeze.

Nice for all sorts of stuffings, soups, sauces, you name it.

Enjoy!

are hen of the woods, sheeps head, and oyster mushrooms the same mushroom?

"Hen of the Woods" & "Sheepshead" mushrooms are the same. Commercially they're also known as "Maitake" mushrooms. "Oyster" mushrooms are completely different, & just to add more confusion to the pot, there's a mushroom variety known as "Chicken of the Woods" that's also completely different from all of the above.

Back
Top Bottom