ISO Turkey Necks ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Some Guy

Assistant Cook
Ok folks, here's one to kick around:

I'm nuts about turkey and chicken necks, ever since I was a kid.
My favorite part of the bird, but the oyster is a close second.

Anyway, I'd like to hear how you folks prepare them. I'm looking to poach some new ideas (yup, pun intended;))

Usually I stick them inside a bird with the stuffing when I roast it, but I've also marinated and bbq'ed em. They're great with any kind of sweet sauce.

Given the great thoughts I got for my 'special dinner' thread, I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

I have a couple fresh turkey necks in the fridge right now...

Chicken and turkey necks have so much flavor in them , I use them to make stock and the pick at the meat on them. We had a Poultry market that sold chicken necks by the 5 lb bag, Under new maganment and no no longer sells them. Miss them.

The oysters on the back of both are great. They are so good, as they sit in the juices while baking. that the first thing i do is flip the turkey or chicken over and eat them. Best lil treat ever.

Salt and pepper and roast them with the bird itself. I don't see why you can't roast them separately though. Best roasted I think.

Thanks for the ideas.
By the 5 lb bag ? Hmm...they would be great done in the same pan with some dry hot wings !
Hehe...yup, salt and pepper and roasted - simple is so often the best isn't it ?

I'm not going to get to these ones right away so I chucked 'em in the freezer. I think I might bbq them with a smoky orange/honey glaze.
Kathy, your post gave me the idea...I had never thought about smoking them.
And yeah, in my place the bird rarely makes it to the table with the oysters intact - I like to call it "cook's prerogative"

What is "the oyster"?

same thing as the "Pope's Nose"?

Eric.

NO!

There are two "oysters" on the bottom side of poultry. They are located in hollows on either side of the backbone. Oysters are morsels of dark meat about the size of a half dollar coin on a turkey and are considered the tastiest part of the bird.

Back
Top Bottom