Cake for a diabetic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't find stevia to be as sweet as sucrose.

If it was the "Green Leaf" brand you were using, it has 95% fillers, and no, it isn't very sweet. That horrible brand product turns off more people to using stevia than it helps. That's why I use the pure stevia extract, usually only found in health food stores.

If it was the "Green Leaf" brand you were using, it has 95% fillers, and no, it isn't very sweet. That horrible brand product turns off more people to using stevia than it helps. That's why I use the pure stevia extract, usually only found in health food stores.

I have no idea of the brand. I was visiting my mum in California and she had it because she was diabetic. She mostly used it on her yoghurt.

If you are talking about the one I think you are...we tried it and didn't like it. Starts with a "T." I had high hopes for it after our run in with Splenda.

I've never understood why it is ok for a diabetic to have angel food cake. It is actually sweeter than any unfrosted cake.

I've never understood why it is ok for a diabetic to have angel food cake. It is actually sweeter than any unfrosted cake.

It's the higher protein to carbohydrate content. Protein helps to slow carbohydrate digestion and allow it slowly into your blood stream, instead of a single jolt from the sugar.

Diabetes is NOT just an avoidance of sugar, carbohydrates as a group are the bad guys. Sugar just happens to be the highest concentration of carbs you can get.

thanks all for your help. I actually always bake with wholemeal (wholegrain) flour & the cakes come out fine. I will try splenda & sourcream substitutes but I can understand where you are coming from "4meandthem". Probably less will be better so will offer fruit as well so she can choose.

Back
Top Bottom