Tomatoes and more tomatoes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently bought a juicer, so tomatoes aren't sitting around as long as they used to. My new favorite juiced cocktail is a combination of tomato, celery, carrot, and parsley, topped off with a pinch of salt and a squeeze of fresh lime. Tasty stuff!

what juicer did you buy, steve?

i want to get one ike the guy who owns a local health food store near me. it can juice things like wheatgrass and kale.

I bought a Breville Juice Fountain Elite. It's the first juicer I've owned so I really can't compare it to anything else. It's pretty easy to clean up, though, and that to me is the difference between an appliance you use and one that collects dust in the closet.

I bought a Breville Juice Fountain Elite. It's the first juicer I've owned so I really can't compare it to anything else. It's pretty easy to clean up, though, and that to me is the difference between an appliance you use and one that collects dust in the closet.

Thanks for letting us know, Steve. Is the one in the pics the one you bought?

I've been wanting to buy one, but haven't for fear that I would buy one that either didn't work well or was very hard to clean.

Your input will help tremendously!

Attachments

• Breville_Juice_Fountain_Elite-1.jpg
    Breville_Juice_Fountain_Elite-1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 264
  • Breville_Juice_Fountain_Elite-2.jpg
    Breville_Juice_Fountain_Elite-2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 178
Yes, that's the one. Everything that comes in contact with food is dishwasher safe. I just give all the immersible pieces a good rinse after use, so nothing dries on, and then throw them in the dishwasher in the evening. The hardest piece to clean is the screen that surrounds the blade. It's a very fine mesh. The brush that comes with it does an ok job of cleaning, but it seems like I still have to scrub it down with a sponge and soapy water. Not a big deal, though.

Almost forgot about Jamie Oliver's Squashed Cherry Tomato and Olive Bruschetta! It's good!

Recipe courtesy Jamie Oliver
Rated 5 stars out of 5

What you are just about to do makes complete sense in cooking. Tomatoes need salt, olives are preserved in salt, you've squeezed the juice out of the tomatoes, which in return draws the salt and the smoky flavour out of the olives. This makes the olives very edible and the tomatoes damn tasty. Rip in as much basil as you can afford and even a handful of rocket (arugula) if you have some. Lovely. P.S. If you have any leftovers then toss them in with some hot spaghetti.

Ingredients
2 handfuls cherry tomatoes
1 handful black olives
4 to 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
A drizzle herb vinegar
1 dried chile
A handful fresh basil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 ciabatta or other rustic bread, cut into thick slices
1/2 clove garlic
4 boccacini
Parmesan, for shaving
Directions
This is probably the quickest salad or bruschetta I make, but no less tasty for that. Very few ingredients, simple flavors, complete sense. Try to make use of the wider range of cherry tomatoes available now: yellow, tige, and plum cherry tomatoes for instance. And, as I always say, it's much better, taste-wise, to buy olives with their stones still in than without. Trust me.

Simply squash your tomatoes into a bowl. I always have to put one hand over the tomatoes as I do this as juice and pips go everywhere (generally on me). You can be as rough with the tomatoes as you like, as the salad looks much better rough and rustic than perfect and pretty. Then, gently smash the olives on a board with a hard object, like a cup or a rolling-pin. Remove the stones, throw the olives in with the tomatoes, and toss together. Add a few glugs of oil, the oregano, a drizzle of vinegar, crumbled chile, and rip in the basil. Season, to taste, and that's your salad.

Griddle or toast the slices of bread and rub with the garlic clove, pile on the tomatoes, and rip the mozzarella and lay over the top drizzle with a little bit more oil and finish with shaves of Parmesan.

Last edited:
with all these lovely garden fresh tomatoes out there, is anyone cooking tomato sauce marcella hazan style? it sounds revolutionary, but hey, it's marcella hazan, can you really go wrong? no garlic, basil,etc.,...just 2 lbs. peeled fresh ripe tomatoes, one onion cut in half, 5 tablespoons butter and salt to taste. 45 mins. in a pot, simmer, stir some, done. it's getting rave reviews as the "hottest red sauce on the internet today". they had me at "marcella"--i'm in! i just might have to check out those marzano tomatoes with this recipe, too....i love simplicity wherever i can find it these days....

Last edited:
i didn't know it was accredited to marcella hazan, but i've made sauce using only butter, onions, and fresh tomatoes before. it was really good, very fresh tasting. best for use with really gently flavoured things like fish. the butter sauteed onions add a creamy sweetness, but the tomatoes have to be perfectly ripe and not too tart to pull it off.

i saw the recipe on mouthfuls food's website a few years ago.

it's not a real long cooking sauce or it defeats the purpose.

OK, I cannot resist. I picked a tomato on Friday that had a ... probiscus? on it. It was ridiculous. We have a Friday group and husband took it down. Stem up, it looked like a nose. Stem down, it was downright obscene. What a laugh! Been growing tomatoes for decades and never seen anything quite like it!

a man taking a rorschach exam in a psychiatrist's office--asked what he saw in the inkblot on the card, the patient answered "sex". shown six more rorschach cards, the man just kept repeating "sex" every time. the doctor finally asked him, "why do you see sex in each and every one of these inkblot cards?" the man answered, "hey, you're the one showing me all those dirty pictures." so, claire, i think this one is on you--the eye of the beholder.... :)

Last edited:
you said it, charlie. a coworker brought me some pickled green tomatoes from katz's deli in nyc recently, and they were fantastic. i've never had pickled tomatoes before, but now i know what to do with all of those green tomatoes at the end of the season.

They do not have to be green. You can use red ones too. As the matter of fact they are even better. If you dig for my Ukrainina thread there is recipe there. Also there was onother thread where I even posted pictures.

Back
Top Bottom