Greetings from chilly Connecticut!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellen1159

Assistant Cook
Just joined this site and looking forward to learning from the experts!

I'm a divorced mom of three teen/early 20's kids, working temp while I job hunt for a full time position after a long time at home (yup, good luck with that). I'm trying to eat healthier and simpler, less processed foods for my overall health and that means more scratch cooking than I've done since I was a newlywed.

I like to use my slow cooker/crockpot on days that I do get called in to work so that something is ready when my youngest and I roll in at 5:30 from a long day at the office or school and cheer practice.

One of the reasons I sought out this website was to find out why, when I make a soup or stew in my slow cooker, the fresh vegetables never seem to be done. At the end of the recommended cook times the meat is tender and falling apart but the vegetables are still al dente.

Is this just the way it is, or is my crockpot not working properly?

I've attempted to make baked beans from soaked overnight, dried beans and even with almost doubling the cook time, the beans are still a bit chewy.

If it's the crock pot's fault, then I know what I'm asking my kids for Christmas this year!

best,

Ellen

Hi Ellen, Two ways to tenderize your vegies, 1 is to par boil them and 2, is to saute them before adding to the crockpot. as far as your beans go--- I use to go through the over night soak, but now I just put them in a pressure cooker. If you cook them in a crockpot always use hot water and never add cold water to beans. A TBLSP of cjder vinegar will also help to soften them.

Welcome to DC!

I make a "soup mix" of chopped carrots, celery, and onion, that I store in a ziplock in the freezer, then take out what I need. I find the freezer "pre-cooks" the veggies, just dump them in. Also, it works to put your raw veggies on the bottom of the CP, with the meat and liquid over top.

I do bean soup in the CP all the time, check the expiration date of your beans. Old beans are hard to soften up. I've done the quick cook and the overnight soak method, they turn out fine.

I don't think it's your CP's fault, unless you want a new one!

Last edited:
hiya and welcome to dc, ellen. the weather here will soon be gearing up for winter and serious crock pot season. did you say that your fresh veggies aren't getting done in your cp either? the meat does, but not the vegetables?

Last edited:
fresh carrots, celery and onion seem to take way too long to cook. I dice them fairly small and put on the bottom,under meat and other vegetables and liquid. Ditto with dried beans.

I would ask for that new crock pot. Tell them you want one that heats the sides as well as the bottom. Rival make a good one. Take a look in the stores and see which one you want and your kids can afford. Good luck. Oh, and welcome to DC. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom