Too Much Salt for Recipe. Help Needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danushi1

Assistant Cook
I need help, badly... I'm not a great cook, and I just tried my hand for the first time at baking bread. I followed the recipe calling to place 2 cups flour (used bread flour) 2 envelopes of rapid rise yeast and 2 teaspoons salt in a bowl

except- instead of 2 teaspoons I accidentally put 2 tablespoons salt

is there ANYTHING I can still do with this or should I just throw the whole thing away?

You can make a whole lot more bread.

Salt controls the growth of yeast, hardens the gluten and flavors the bread.

You should probably start over, you aren't overly invested in this one.

Salt is also a preservative. That bread should last a looooong time.
I'd start over, too. I added too much salt before and the results are not edible, even for a salt lover.

I guess we can't use the cut up potato advice here...:LOL:

But what about potato bread? You mean the smashed spuds won't absorb the excess salt!:ohmy::LOL:

Teh only thing you could do would be to triple your recipe and not add any more salt. Then you would have to knead it a long time to completely mix the dough. Like the others said, that's a lot of work. Go ahead and start over.

Maybe, if you live in a woodsy area, you could bake that bread and break it up for the critters. They may appreciate the extra salt in the winter. You might also be able to use that salty bread in a poultry dressing, using unsalted broth, more bread, onions, celery, giblets, etc., to dilute the salt content into something palatable. Good luck.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom