Silly little cooking tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd_1138

Sous Chef
How about some silly little cooking/shopping tips? I got extra thick bacon the other day at the store, and gosh by golly this stuff rocks.

It fits on the rack that goes in a sheet pan. The thin bacon doesn't fit due to so many slices of it, so I'd have to crowd it up. And because the bacon is thicker it doesn't burn. Thin bacon burns too quickly, so there's a small window/amount of time between "crisp" and "burnt" when dealing with thin bacon.

Today I tossed the bacon in the oven, made some sunny side up eggs, and some toast.

Any other little recommendations for cooking?

jd, I'm sorry to say that silly no longer exists here.

Too many experts who forgot what silly means.

OK, maybe that's a but rough, but it ain't hard to see.

Last edited:
I cook and eat nice dinners and drink expensive wine in my long johns. It's comfortable and it will stop door to door solicitors from bugging you during dinner time..answer the door and once they get a look at you they won't stick around for long...."hey! Where ya going? Come back! Wanna come in? I've got chocolate for dessert"

Last edited:
Lol, is it a red onesie with the buttoned panel over the butt?
You know, Canadian lingerie?

I cook and eat nice dinners and drink expensive wine in my long johns. It's comfortable and it will stop door to door solicitors from bugging you during dinner time..answer the door and once they get a look at you they won't stick around for long...."hey! Where ya going? Come back! Wanna come in? I've got chocolate for dessert"

I wish I had thought of that when the Mormon missionaries were going door to door. I appreciate they go to a lot of effort for little reward, but dang, those guys are persistent!

Last edited:
I wish I had thought of that when the Mormon missionaries were going door to door. I appreciate they go to a lot of effort for little reward, but dang, those guys are persistent!

We're far enough off the beaten track that nobody bothers to even try to sell religion door-to-door. The only report I've heard in the last couple of years around here was someone selling Kirby vacuums, and they seem to mostly drive the county roads going farm to farm. All I know about them is that they are crazy expensive, and that my father-in-law got virtually his entire house cleaned by the salesman before he told the guy that he already had a Kirby in closet. :LOL:

A friend of a friend was drinking with our friend and another buddy when the 7th Day Adventists came to call. He told the other 2 "watch this." Then, he proceeded to strip down totally, reached down, grabbed hold of you know what, started back and forth movements with his hand, then opened the door and asked "can I help you?" Needless to say, they immediately turned around and left, and apparently put him on a list as they never came back.

We're far enough off the beaten track that nobody bothers to even try to sell religion door-to-door. The only report I've heard in the last couple of years around here was someone selling Kirby vacuums, and they seem to mostly drive the county roads going farm to farm. All I know about them is that they are crazy expensive, and that my father-in-law got virtually his entire house cleaned by the salesman before he told the guy that he already had a Kirby in closet. :LOL:

My grandmother once bought an Electrolux vacuum off a door to door salesman in the mid 1980's. It was close to $400, but it did last for like 20 years. :) The $80 ones from K-Mart, you're lucky to get 2 years out of those. Cheap is seldom a good value.

We bought an Oreck 10 years ago, and it's been a tank. No problems at all -- just like 3 or 4 belt changes. $210 I think it was.

But I definitely recommend putting up a "No Soliciting" sign. Saves a lot of hassle. An idiot once knocked on the door. Our dogs went nuts including our 90 pound rough coat Collie (bred to protect the flock). His teeth were showing.

I cracked the door, and the dude claimed he was from the utility co.. He had a polo shirt with a logo and a clipboard. I sort of realized (even though I was half asleep) that it was probably a dude from one of those energy resellers and not the actual gas or electric co., but I wasn't sure. So I asked again if he was from the actual utility co. or a reseller.

The moron danced around the question --wanting to make his $30 commission or whatever. Finally, I said: "guy, this dog that is going nuts here wants to eat you. Do you understand?: Unless you're from the utility co. trying to tell me that my house is going to explode, please leave".

I could barely muster the strength to keep the dog from pushing the door open. 2 hours later I bought a "no soliciting" sign. Problem solved.

59860760-a777-42e6-8dd5-7e03c88a1527_400.jpg

Last edited:

Oh, I love it when the Kirby salesmen come knocking. They really will vacuum your whole house, if you let them. One guy even vacuumed my mattress!

CD

I don't answer the door if I don't know who it is.

When I see them holding the standard clipboard or handfuls of brochures, I just holler "No thank you, not interested!" through the door and they leave.

I SO dislike salespeople and/or church groups trying to sell me on something. :glare:

I still remember when I was a kid having the Fuller Brush man come around a few times a year, and Mom would usually buy something. Everyone did back then, since it wasn't yet common for a household to have more than one car, and that was usually at work with Dad. Mom only had wheels evenings and weekends, so for some things, door-to-door salesmen and home delivery was a reasonable and even expected thing.

It wasn't until Mom remarried in December 1959 that we became a 2 car family and she had unlimited mobility.

I still remember when I was a kid having the Fuller Brush man come around a few times a year, and Mom would usually buy something. Everyone did back then, since it wasn't yet common for a household to have more than one car, and that was usually at work with Dad. Mom only had wheels evenings and weekends, so for some things, door-to-door salesmen and home delivery was a reasonable and even expected thing.

It wasn't until Mom remarried in December 1959 that we became a 2 car family and she had unlimited mobility.

Fuller Brush? Did they sell like mops, sponges, brushes, cleaning products?

I remember in the 1970's when I was a kid, there was this one truck that was red I think. It was like a bread truck but had a brand name that I can't remember. And he sold a little of everything -- soaps, detergents, snacks, chips, toys, mops, etc.. My mom would occasionally buy stuff off him.

She had a station wagon, but she never liked to go places with 4 small kids at the time.

Fuller Brush? Did they sell like mops, sponges, brushes, cleaning products?

I remember in the 1970's when I was a kid, there was this one truck that was red I think. It was like a bread truck but had a brand name that I can't remember. And he sold a little of everything -- soaps, detergents, snacks, chips, toys, mops, etc.. My mom would occasionally buy stuff off him.

She had a station wagon, but she never liked to go places with 4 small kids at the time.

Yes... lots of cleaning products, the sort of stuff that every housewife needed regularly.

Back
Top Bottom