2023 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting Aunt Bea. So you can make French toast without the egg white? Also, if I wanted a savoury version, I suppose I could just omit the sugar and vanilla, and add some salt and pepper?

Interesting Aunt Bea. So you can make French toast without the egg white? Also, if I wanted a savoury version, I suppose I could just omit the sugar and vanilla, and add some salt and pepper?
Absolutely, adjust the seasonings to suit your taste.

You could forget the French toast and add a couple of whole eggs to make a savory omelette or scrambled eggs.

Last edited:
A typical Dutch treat, called ' Boterkoek ' which is most comparable to shortbread but a lot creamier & softer. Mine also has orange zest.
View attachment 66026
I just put the pan in the refrigerator. Since I didn't feel like going through the huffing and puffing of getting Craig to go through my odd size pans that are stored too high for me to reach, I used a 10 inch square pan. I also used vanilla bean seeds instead of the citrus since I didn't have an orange. I will say the dough tastes really good!

left over egg yolks

these recipes from "one dish kitchen" uses one or 2 left over yolks. They are recipes for 1 or 2 servings but I'm sure you could double a couple of them... or just make them twice. ;)
I have no need of doubling! Just me and Ollie to cook for. Thanks Dragn!

A huge amount of sweet recipes on there, but then I found "Swedish Meatballs", which looks delicious! Really something I can do (and try on Ollie).

Last edited:
I just put the pan in the refrigerator. Since I didn't feel like going through the huffing and puffing of getting Craig to go through my odd size pans that are stored too high for me to reach, I used a 10 inch square pan. I also used vanilla bean seeds instead of the citrus since I didn't have an orange. I will say the dough tastes really good!
The most traditional version has no citrus because our country can't grow them so your substitute is OK. That makes it even sweeter and richer however, so have it with black coffee or citrusy tea or drinks.

Katy, I had forgotten about those Meatballs! Had already saved it so thanks for bringing it up again. Going to go on my to do list right soon!

She has lots of things other than sweets but it seems 1 egg yolk is perfect for them, LOL.

Her recent savoury ones I've done - Twice Baked Eggplant Hint: do not bake the eggplant first, scoop out flesh then bake the shells, adjust the timing though. Potato Salad, go easy on the vinegar. Stuffed Shells for One, I add spinach. Mushroom Casserole for One.

Oh, @KatyCooks you could make preserved egg yolk. I have done it a couple of times, not sure if I posted here, and it's pretty good. Once dried, it can be grated and tastes sort of like an eggy cheese. You can do it with all salt, but I preferred the method with some sugar.

Oh, I did post.

Last edited:
Sweet potato quick bread with walnuts.

I used a sweet potato that I baked last night.

I used whole wheat flour, swapped out the sugar for a quarter cup of sugar free maple flavored pancake syrup, and lowered the temperature twenty five degrees because I used a Pyrex bread pan.

It looks and smells great.

I need to stop at Tops Friendly Market when I go out for my walk and pickup a bar of cream cheese. 🐷🐷🐷

Last edited:
Corn muffins.

Yield 6

Preheat oven to 400f
Grease or spray muffin tin.

Set aside 1/2 cup milk with 1 t vinegar.

Whisk together
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat or AP flour
1/2 t salt
1 t sugar optional
1/2 t Baking Powder
1/4 t Baking Soda

Add and whisk together
1 egg
1/4 cup oil or melted butter
1/2 cup soured milk or buttermilk

Portion into 6 greased muffin cups, let sit for 5 minutes and bake in preheated 400f oven for 11 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean, turn out onto rack and cool.

Corn muffins.

Yield 6

Preheat oven to 400f
Grease or spray muffin tin.

Set aside 1/2 cup milk with 1 t vinegar.

Whisk together
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat or AP flour
1/2 t salt
1 t sugar optional
1/2 t Baking Powder
1/4 t Baking Soda

Add and whisk together
1 egg
1/4 cup oil or melted butter
1/2 cup soured milk or buttermilk

Portion into 6 greased muffin cups, let sit for 5 minutes and bake in preheated 400f oven for 11 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean, turn out onto rack and cool.

I've been wanting some cornbread. I put a little sugar and fresh or frozen/thawed corn in mine.

On a side note, I noticed last week when we went to the grocery that they are now selling buttermilk in smaller amounts, like pint size. Glad they figured out people might not need a quart. I know you can freeze it in ice cube trays but that's more work than I want to do, plus then I have to find the cubes in the freezer and defrost.

You are so right about bread baking weather, pepper! I had packed my bread machine away in spring figuring we'd be moving by now (soon, very soon) but I brought the box up from the basement this weekend and baked a loaf of my favorite Country "White" bread (I use half white whole wheat instead of all bread flour) so that I could have a leftover meatloaf sandwich. Heaven!
...What I am wondering is what to do with the 6 egg yolks that will be left over?
o_O @KatyCooks, hand in your "I'm a Brit" card right now! The first thing that came to my mind was lemon curd - as in split a scone, smear with lemon curd, and place a generous dollop of clotted cream on top. I don't know about how nice or available fresh lemons are by you, but you might want to give this recipe (which I have not made) a quick look: Lemon Curd

BTW, I have a small jar of "Devon Clotted Cream" made in England in my refrigerator right now. I bought it for the next time I bake a batch of scones. Might buy a jar of lemon curd, too. Or not.

CG I have never heard of putting lemon curd in or on a scone! I did make "proper" lemon curd one time, many, many years ago, and my general memory is that it was nice....

However, here are the "so called" "Louisiana style" peach pies I created. They, too, were nice. But I won't be making that recipe again! ( I think my level of frustration is demonstrated by the decreasing level of attention to the application of the meringue! It is was delicious! And I had mountains of it!) I made two thirds of the recipe and still ended up throwing half of it away. Deeply frustrating and wasteful.)
Peach Pies.jpg

Last edited:
LOL, yes the swirls are perfect!

I was also thinking about the size. Is it not larger than the smalls but smaller than the large? I've always been a middle of the road gal.

Back
Top Bottom