Beef Brisket?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get a four - to - Six pound brisket at the local Amish Market for under three bucks a pound Understand of course that that's a CUT of the whole brisket, wich accounts for 6 % of the meat that comes off the cow............... the one I pictured here yesterday started it's kitchen life as a four-pounder.
For purposes of serving it is good to know that a brisket will weigh-in after cooking at about 50% of the uncooked weight. Remember this at the time of purchase and don't go hungry!

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.It's much appreciated.

I'll leave it up to my butcher.He's always been great about choosing the right cut of meat for one more of my harebrained ideas.I think he likes the challenge.

I will get back to you all asap, about it,and what I did with it.

Thanks again.

Munky.

Compared to what? Chicken? Why do you always have to have the last word?
Huh? That doesn't even make sense. I'm talking about the kick azz deals for meat I could get in California verses what suckky meat prices they have in North Carolina. I used to get 5 pounds of chicken for $10 in California. Here I'm lucky to get a third of that for the same price. It was a shock.

Brisket is crazy expensive here. Even corned beef is quadrupal what it was in California. I could get a package for $3 in Cali but here I've never been able to buy one for less than $10.

For whatever reason that I miss, Cali has great meat prices compaired to the other parts of the coutnry I've lived in. I miss California meat prices but in other parts of the US brisket costs the price of your first born,.

Wayne, if you have never enjoyed brisket that is not "corned," it's a completely different flavor. When I was a little girl I didn't realize they were the same cut of meat.

Thanks June, I will make a point of asking the butcher, it is usually a reasonably fatty cut for us so should roast really nice

Brisket like flank steak has now become rather expensive, at least MD. You can buy it at both Sam's and B J's. Also you can find it at most grocery stores. Usually around $3.50 to 4.00 lbs, depending on the season, summer time the price goes up.

Brisket like flank steak has now become rather expensive, at least MD. You can buy it at both Sam's and B J's. Also you can find it at most grocery stores. Usually around $3.50 to 4.00 lbs, depending on the season, summer time the price goes up.

It sure seems when a meat gains popularity, the price goes up. Example: Chicken Wings................Oh boy, maybe the price of Prime Rib will come down:ROFLMAO:

Brisket is crazy expensive here. Even corned beef is quadrupal what it was in California. I could get a package for $3 in Cali but here I've never been able to buy one for less than $10.

$10 per pound? Or per how much? by weight? If you are paying $30 per 3 feet of meat like you said, that is not a lot of money.

Here's My Brisket !

MARINATED BARBECUE BEEF BRISKET
Yield: 6 servings
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
2 tablespoons each: minced onion, cider vinegar
1 tablespoon mustard
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
Coarsely cracked black pepper
1 beef brisket, about 3 1/2 pounds
2 large onions, sliced
5 carrots, peeled, cut in 1-inch chunks
5 medium red potatoes, unpeeled
Salt
2 small bags radishes, ends trimmed
Combine ketchup, water, onion, vinegar, horseradish, mustard and
pepper. Place brisket in a shallow glass baking dish. Pour marinade
over; cover and refrigerate overnight.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Scatter onions on top of meat.
Pour Marinade over onions. Cover and
bake 2 1/2 hours. Add carrots, radishes and potatoes; cover and continue
baking until meat and vegetables are tender, about 1 hour. Add salt
and pepper to taste. Cut meat into thin slices. Use the pan juices​
as sauce.

img_795960_0_c91ef0fc0e68549023ef969d80fbec58.jpg
Next brisket I do, it's going to be like your's. Thanks for the recipe, luckytrim!

BTW, brisket is still cheap wher I live in the US NE. Free range, hormone free, etc., and it's $4~ish a pound.

Luckytrim,

That looks soooooo good!!!! I can't wait to try that one.

Thank you!! :)

Munky.

Acquiring a beef brisket hasn't been as easy as I thought it would be.

My butcher does'nt sell it, local stores don't carry it.So we went to another town they did'nt have it either,we were told it does'nt sell.That's why they don't keep it in stock.They did at least offer to order it for us.They have to buy it by the case.That's fine with me.We just might by that case.

But anyways it's getting ordered today or Monday.I should have it by the weekend.

The butcher did say that the roasts would be about 5 to 7 pounds.The price per pound would be about $3.88 to $4.00.

Thanks to all of the help here I asked that the caps be left on and the roasts be kept whole.I explained what I needed them for,and how it would be cooked.He was in agreement,and did say that one of the reasons it doesn't sell in this area is because people complained that the meat was too tough.

I think if they would place a general guide for prepping and cooking on a label it would sell around here.A lot of people around here bbq'e every weekend.

It's almost showtime!!!!!! :)

Munky.

I may be a lil late on this one, but heres my .02 I only smoke brisket, but i imagine that this can be done in an oven if you dont have a smoker. Brisket is awesome, i get mine from wally world. I only buy packer briskets(excel brand) and pay less than 2 bucks a pound. The last one i bought was 10.5lb+/- and it was 18 bucks and change. I put a basic dry rub on it consisting of smoked paprika, onion powder, kosher salt cracked black pepper garlic powder, you can use brown sugar also if ya like a sweet taste and used mustard to hold the rub to the meat (this make an awesome bark). Put it on a rack in a pan to catch the drippings cook at 275 till internal temp reaches 140 and cut the heat back to 225, I know, that will take freakin forever but it's the best way to break down all of the connective tissues and give you the most tender briskey. If ya want to slice it, take it to about 160, rest and slice against the grain. If ya want to pull it, double wrap it in foil @160* with a splash of apple juice and bourbon and back into whatever you cook it in and take it to an internal of 205 deg and rest wrapped in foil inside of a cooler. It will stay HOT for hrs and keep breaking down the tissues that make a brisket tough. Check out smoked-meatdotcom for more great info on briskets.

$10 per pound? Or per how much? by weight? If you are paying $30 per 3 feet of meat like you said, that is not a lot of money.
In Cali I could by a package of corned beef brisket for $3 cash. Now I can't buy one for less than $10 cash. I don't know the weight, I just know the packaging is the same here as it was in Cali but it's three times as expensive. My St Patrick's day dinner has tripled since moving.

Cheap and inexpensive are relative terms Callisto. When butchers got primal halves of beef - they had a set number of things they could cut from it ... some things like brisket, skirt/flank/hanger steaks, ribs, shanks, tails did not sell as well as the T-Bone, Porterhouse, Strip, etc. steaks and roasts. Therefore, in order to sell them, they were sold at a much lower price per pound than the more desirable cuts. These were what you will sometimes see referred to as "butcher" cuts - if he couldn't sell them he simply took them home to eat himself.

Now that butchers are getting as hard to find as hen's teeth - grocery stores are buying the cuts from distribution centers or suppliers that sell the most - what were once the cheap cuts still are, but they are probably being shipped somewhere else ... and if you want them they are a "limited availability" item - so the price goes up.

Prices vary by country, by region, by state, by season - they also vary from store chain to chain, store to store, location to location even within the same city! I can find brisket ranging fron $1.29 - $3.99 /lb every day - depending on which store I go to. On sale - it can range from $0.59 - $1.89 ... again depending on the store and the part of town where I shop.

I'm sorry that all meat prices in general seem to be higher for you in NC than they were in CA. But, I bet you get better prices on pork.

Our moonshine is cheaper! :ermm:
I don't eat pork and I don't drink moonshine. I don't even know where to buy real moonshine but regardless, it's ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL meat that I eat, chicken, turkey, beef, that is considerably more expensive than it was in Cali. Dollar for dollar California meat prices were by far less than this state. It's amazing to me that NC meat is so much more expensive than CA and that isn't even adjusted for wages, it's flat out what comes out of my pocket. Always has been my major complaint about this state.

Oh, and cheap and inexpensive are non-related. So non-related. YOu can buy cheap stuff and you can buy nice stuff at inexpensive places. They are not the same, not buy a long shot

Back
Top Bottom