Beef Liver.. anyone w/ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robin

Senior Cook
Well I took out beef liver this morning for dinner. I've only cooked liver a handful of times and I can't say that it was great. So some experience or idea's would be wonderful. Hubby said fry them in butter and onions. So I donno.. And I'm not sure what sides I want either. Though I'm pretty sure as long as it involves taters hubby won't care. :rolleyes:

My mother used to make that years ago. I think she and I were the only ones that would eat it :ermm:
I always preferred things a little plain back then. She would put the slices in flour and cook (fry) them in bacon grease. I never got into the whole liver and onions thing, but today it may be different.

IMHO, I think it's best for catfish bait.

That said, I've cooked liver at two places I've worked at. One used sliced, frozen beef livers. The other used frozen, sliced, then thawed, calf (veal) liver.

The beef liver was cooked straight from frozen, on a well-seasoned, buttered griddle, seasoned with salt and pepper.

The veal liver was seasoned and breaded, then cooked to temp (med-rare, med-well, etc.) quickly in a non-stick skillet with a little clarified butter.

I love liver and onions!

Pacanis is right on about how to cook it. Caramelize some onions in the pan first, then set aside while you fry the liver. Be sure not to overcook the liver, or it will be tough as a shoe sole. Once it's browned on both sides, return the onions to the pan, laying them on top of the meat, add a little liquid and put the lid on to let it steam for a few minutes.
I think liver & onions tastes best with mashed potatoes. :-p

Caramelize onions in butter, fry bacon until lightly crisp. dry the liver well with paper towels. season and dust lightly in flour, fry in the drippings from the onoins and bacon, add a little butter if necessary. serve liver with the bacon and onions on top. side with baked potato and green veg and or salad.

I've been served liver as above sided with pasta and marinara. It went together really well. Tomato sauce does very nice things for liver. I've done it since then as a "cutlet" with tomato sauce over it. again very nice.

Aside from liver and onions, I like liver knishes and chopped liver. Liver knishes are ground liver surrounded with mashed potatoes and fried like patties. Chopped liver is great as an appetizer or in a sandwich with sliced red onions on rye - I like egg or white bread. I don't have any recipes for you, since I watched my ancestors prepare the dishes, but never wrote the recipes down. You can find a few with a google.

Last edited:
A little red wine really helps.

I have not made liver & onions for years. When I have, its pretty much as Constance states below. For the 'liquid', I suggest red wine. Thats how my mom taught me and its the only way I can even think of having it.

Constance said:
I love liver and onions!

Pacanis is right on about how to cook it. Caramelize some onions in the pan first, then set aside while you fry the liver. Be sure not to overcook the liver, or it will be tough as a shoe sole. Once it's browned on both sides, return the onions to the pan, laying them on top of the meat, add a little liquid and put the lid on to let it steam for a few minutes.
I think liver & onions tastes best with mashed potatoes. :-p

The only way I EVER was able to choke down beef liver was when my mom made it sort of the way CharlieD mentions - in a cream sauce. Don't know if it was sour cream, but the liver was quickly sauteed & then tossed in a cream sauce that had wine & sliced mushrooms in it. The only time in my life I ever cleaned my plate when liver was on the menu - lol!!

If anyone is interested, I'll ask mom for the recipe.

CharlieD and Breezy - that sounds wonderful and YES, a recipe would be much appreciated.

I always did mine with caramelized onions, seasoned flour and cook until medium/medium rare.

How about some smothered beef liver in gravy?

The dark drippings from the bottom of the pan after frying, are the perfect foundation and makes perfect gravy for the meat!!

Just add some flour to make a roux, add some water, beef or chicken stock, along with some sasonings and sliced onions, put some of this over some rice, potatoes or pasta with some veggies on the side, and you've got one **** of a meal!!

My mom used to do this for us as kids!

Last edited:
Well guys I made it last night and hubby gave me a D. :ermm: He didn't like the water in it. And I can't use alcohol in our food because of hubbys meds. Though it does sound like it would add a good flavor.

He said on the weekend he'll "teach" me how he likes it. Which means he'll cook and make me watch him. Oh well.

I'm going with something easy today.. veggies w/ hot dogs...:ROFLMAO:

I'm sorry I do not have the recipe, but it is very simular to the stroganov recipe. Too late for now, but for the next time, maybe. Thou liver is not good for you, so do not do it too often, too much cholesterol.

Back
Top Bottom